Smog (California Specific)

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
bstoner

Re: Smog (California Specific)

Post by bstoner »

I wonder then if they are only looking at the engine diagnostic CVN then? It would make sense in that they are looking to see if someone disabled O2 sensors or other emission requirements. It's either that or they don't have enough sampling on our unicorns for correct CVNs and we are flying under the radar. I need more data points from more popular platforms like the Camaro to see.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

I don't know enough about tuning. Does the dod command live in different file from the engine parameters??
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

No, it's in the main engine tune file. A simple Enable/Disable affair. However, as soon as this is modified, if the smog check looks for the proper check sums, it may fail.
DOD Tune.jpg
DOD Tune.jpg (231.38 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
soberservice

Post by soberservice »

Ok my homie Jeff has already gotten a 14 done with ls3 cam and tuned. What idiots are doing it turning DFCO off which shuts off the spitting and popping underdeceleration from excess fuel in there. Also idoits are not asking tuners it they are shutting off rear 02 sensors big nono as well and the car is smogged they can see this stuff. Plus play it safe put stock intake back on the car most of them for a PPV will not be carb legal
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Well that's the thing sober. It is not a matter of what changes you make, any change is supposed to trigger the fail. Yes having monitors not reporting would also be a fail and I guess that would still look like a modified software fail. But they do not give enough info to determine if it was a checksum/CALID failure or a missing monitor fail. So hard to know what is going on here.

Just saw another G8 GT failed for modified software,but this guy had a DOD deletes and a manual trans swap so you know his tune was pretty extensive. Might have had some monitors deactivated.
g8 smog.png
g8 smog.png (172.2 KiB) Viewed 1081 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

bstoner wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 10:49 am I need more data points from more popular platforms like the Camaro to see.
Ah yea forgot about the Camaros will look into them. The lack of stories in the truck world though is pretty convincing. THink they would be failing left and right with all the AFM deletes done.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Yea seem to be seeing a pattern of all the AFM engines are getting ignored when it comes to tune detection. Unless they start doing things like Turning off monitor reporting and such. But a simple DOD turn off seems to get past the tune detection software on the CA smog machine.
smog SS.png
smog SS.png (274.08 KiB) Viewed 665 times
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Olddohc

Post by Olddohc »

Hey Im the Jeff from Lake Forest. The tuned Ohio car from a year or 2 ago that passed I don’t know why or how it did as I didn’t tune it. It was an ls3 cam, visually everything was stock. I think like steve said, the cars are so unknown I got lucky. I recently started deleting them on my own. I have done 3 and taken all 3 to different random smog stations to test my theory and I have passed everywhere. When I say delete, its basic. Just an ls3 cam and all associated parts. I even brought my crate ls3 caprice to a smog shop and passed that under legal terms. Dont turn off any monitors like the O2s. Just turn off “dod” with hptuners. Its a drop down tab just like TUTD. Do this before you delete your car. If you delete your car, start it up without plugging in the vlom or turning off dod you will get 3 permanent DOD codes. As much as this sucks there is still a way around the permanent codes. I passed one recently that had 3 permanent codes. With your basic hand scanner go into live data. Car needs to be driven 200 miles and needs 15 warm ups. I am not speaking from hypothetical situations or $hit i heard on the internet. I personally worked on and took in all of these cars I am referring to. Hit me up on FB if you need help passing.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Good info on the permanent codes. The state does the 200/15 thing to help people get through the process. They figure if a code does not come back current in that time it is probably OK.

Covered here: https://www.bar.ca.gov/Industry/PDTC

So now that we know we got a pass the question is how much can we tune it and still get by?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Olddohc

Post by Olddohc »

Great question steve. As you know I buy/sell caprices. My buyers here in CA tend to like the deleted caprices that will pass anywhere so I don’t really like to tune the cars I sell. My 2650 car is up for a SMOG this year. I do have a buddy who can overlook visual. Then its all on the state and the obd2 plug in. Car is fully tuned as it has a fuel system and blower. No check engine lights though, Im sure there are some things like secondary O2s turned off. I don’t mind plugging it in at his shop and seeing what happens.