AFM Failure Prevention?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
xcidmigs

Re: AFM Failure Prevention?

Post by xcidmigs »

Engine oil-life monitors that track engine hours rather than mileage take into account idling time, rpm and other factors that aren't considered when going strictly by mileage. If your vehicle uses an oil-life monitor that tracks engine hours, the monitor may alert you that service is required before or after your vehicle hits the normal target service mileage.

Thats a great statement buried in your post, I am amazed still how many service managers disregard those monitors and how our police fleet garage does nothing but just once a month drain all vehicles regardless of use. I wonder how that calculation was created otherwise.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I have been looking at a Tahoe for winter use and came across this locally, seemed a good price but I looked at the hours and did the math according to previous post....

Up for bidding is a 2014 fleet ordered Chevrolet Tahoe. Tahoe has been an on street sargents patrol car since new, Tahoe has 113841 miles and 20431 hours on it. Tahoe has a slight engine squeak (probable lifter) and an intermitant check engine light, not diagnosed because car was on rotation and removed from service. Fleet key number 6E2. Car has been serviced on a regular 400 hour interval, all service records will come with car.Minor dings and scratches from every day use, no under carrige rust

20431x60 = 1,225,860 MILES KIDS!!!!!!! 400 hr service interval is great if they actually changed the oil on it 500 times in 4 years I would be amazed but this is why I will not ever buy a ex patrol car.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

When I started doing fleet work about 40 years ago, I was told the equipment industry used 40 mph for calculating service needs or intervals. Of course this was for construction equipment that was more than likely being worked at a speed and load a lot greater than is seen in a patrol car that is sitting there idling with the lights and the AC on. The loads on bearings and pistons are pretty light at idle, since the running compression with the throttle closed is around half of the cranking compression.

The one load that does not change is the valve spring tension, but the rate of pressure increase on the lifter roller does change with increased speed.

David
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

And it doesn't mention if it was previously repaired. Wow!
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419