Easier/cheaper way to fix a collapsed DOD/AFM lifter

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Mooseman

Easier/cheaper way to fix a collapsed DOD/AFM lifter

Post by Mooseman »

Just YT surfing and found this video. He talks a lot and goes through the entire tear down so I cued it up to the main part. Basically, you can un-collapse the lifter without having to take the heads off. Genius actually. Once the lifter is freed up, just a matter of disabling DOD and you're good to go. The only caveat would be if it's been running a long time like this and/or the cam and lifter are damaged, this would be pointless. Maybe draining the oil first and checking for metal would be wise.

If you want to see what a rocker looks like where the lifter collapsed, go to 9:04

Another way you can disable DOD would be to just leave the connector on the VLOM disconnected until you can get it tuned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... MJMf3nnQhQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although this is on a truck, this would apply to any vehicle with DOD/AFM.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
camrat68

Re: Easier/cheaper way to fix a collapsed DOD/AFM lifter

Post by camrat68 »

Excellent video! Great find.

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

I have seen this before, that s why I believe the Ranger AFM delete plug in should prevent this issue.
FYI. I have had the unit plugged in now for about 2 weeks and a few hundred miles with no dash lights.
2016 C1
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

I checked out the prices of the Range Technology AFM disabler on eBay and at the same time found a mail order tuner that's cheaper. The disabler was $144 while a tune is $80 + $10 for shipping. Sure there are shipping costs to ship it to them too but should still come under $100. It's permanent and they bump the performance a bit.
Tuning Performed
-Active Fuel Management; Displacement on Demand (AFM, DOD) disabled
-DTC codes for AFM/DOD disabled
-Increased performance tuning (spark timing, torque management)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/162923157599?s ... 1436.l2649" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the disabler, you have to take it out when you go for an e-test or take it to the dealer. It is more convenient as you don't have to ship the PCM out and having the vehicle disabled for a few days.

Either way, disabling DOD will prevent getting a collapsed lifter.
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

It would have been interesting if he would have applied air pressure to the oil passage to see if it the DOD lifter would release, after he tapped it to get it to lock in.

David
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Well no because applying pressure would collapse it and possibly get stuck again.
HoldenPPV

Post by HoldenPPV »

I have a Range Technology afm disabler that I like... mostly. It’s only fault is that sometimes (about once every two months) it will fail to work. I always know it right away though since the car has a Solo Performance axle back exhaust. It is very, very obvious from the exhaust note when 4 cylinder mode is engaged (without looking at the DIC).

I immediately pull over, turn the car off and pull the unit out and let it sit for about 15 seconds. Then I plug it back in and all is good.

I think but am not positive, that this might be happening if I put the car in gear too quckly after starting and don’t wait for the unit’s ready lights to quit flashing before I do so (it takes like 3 seconds). But this is pure speculation on my part.

I got my unit for $100 on craigslist. I am going to look in to tuning this out though.

Of course deleting the whole AFM thing is by far the best (but expensive) option and will eventually happen to our car.
2012 9C1 (L77)

2008 Suzuki B-King - 2nd gen 1340cc Hayabusa engine - Scorpion exhaust
* (Bequeathed to me by Chris Hibbard 11/11/1958-01/08/2011 — The HibbsCycle) *

#ABG (Always Be Gamblin’) http://www.Gambler500.com" an impractical vehicle-off road-navigational challenge...
cerbomark

Post by cerbomark »

HoldenPPV wrote:I have a Range Technology afm disabler that I like... mostly. It’s only fault is that sometimes (about once every two months) it will fail to work. I always know it right away though since the car has a Solo Performance axle back exhaust. It is very, very obvious from the exhaust note when 4 cylinder mode is engaged (without looking at the DIC).

I immediately pull over, turn the car off and pull the unit out and let it sit for about 15 seconds. Then I plug it back in and all is good.

I think but am not positive, that this might be happening if I put the car in gear too quckly after starting and don’t wait for the unit’s ready lights to quit flashing before I do so (it takes like 3 seconds). But this is pure speculation on my part.

I got my unit for $100 on craigslist. I am going to look in to tuning this out though.

Of course deleting the whole AFM thing is by far the best (but expensive) option and will eventually happen to our car.

It might be you got an older model as they have made updates. That s why if you order direct from Ranger it s a few bucks more but you are certain to get that latest software.
2016 C1
impalaplt

Post by impalaplt »

I'm bringing an OLD thread back to life.....

I did see the video mentioned in the first post, and I'm wondering if anyone HERE has actually done this?

I'm thinking of doing this for short term, until I firm up either the DOD Delete, or, a whole engine build....

The time to pull the intake, and either fabricate or order the part (basically a pushrod cut at a 45* angle on one end, and 90* at the other end.....As far as I can tell).

I do have the Range Tech Disabler, but this seemed to have happened with that plugged in....

Thoughts?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

If I remember correctly, the first design had more problems with the lifter internals hanging up. Pretty sure the Caprices use a second design/different manufacturer. I would find out what side has failed and pull the valve cover and see what moves when cranking. I had one that the valves moved fine while cranking but one lifter would disengage and soon as the engine fired. Had to run it with the valve cover off to find that problem. Cam lobe and roller was shot. The internals of the lifter looked like new.