DOD Delete and LS9 Cam from Texas Speed 2012 PPV

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
tedwards0633

DOD Delete and LS9 Cam from Texas Speed 2012 PPV

Post by tedwards0633 »

Back in August I was driving my 2012 PPV when I heard a lord pop and the check engine light went on instantly with a misfire. I was able to get the car to the shop when I got the news I knew I would with the DOD on these PPV's, I had a collapsed cylinder and my cam was shot.
After research and some shopping around I decided to go with A1 Radiator and Repair out of Milwaukee to do the DOD delete and cam swap. I went with the DOD delete kit from Texas Speed. I will have more update as the work get completed. The cam is in and my PPV is headed to get tuned, cant wait to see the results!
Attachments
IMG_1166.JPG
IMG_1166.JPG (116.57 KiB) Viewed 12622 times
lastcall190

Re: DOD Delete and LS9 Cam from Texas Speed 2012 PPV

Post by lastcall190 »

"Nice!"

I keep quotes because while it's exciting, at the end of the day, sometimes it's nicer to choose the time for mods on your own clock vs the car telling you it's not doing another thing until it gets what it wants :lol:

The anticipation of getting the car back is great. I remember waiting for mine and finally getting notice it was done. Good stuff.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'm kind of conflicted on this, too. IF I ever got 'The Tick', I'd go DOD-delete and moar cam. I'm not sure I'd go through the effort with the car running as well as it is, though. It might be better to get ahead of it before you're left on the side of the road on the way to an important meeting, or something, but yeah, still thinking about it.

Can't wait to see how this project turns out, though. Why the LS9 cam? Think of boost down the road or is it a better cam than others?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Not OP but it's a lower cost relative to other stock cams. I would've gone bigger but had zero other mods, not even an intake. I didn't want to choke the car out. Car made 338rwhp through the stock exhaust and on 89 octane. I have had the car retuned for 93 and a full header back exhaust so I'm sure it has more in it.

Sorry to hijack.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm kind of conflicted on this, too. IF I ever got 'The Tick', I'd go DOD-delete and moar cam. I'm not sure I'd go through the effort with the car running as well as it is, though. It might be better to get ahead of it before you're left on the side of the road on the way to an important meeting, or something, but yeah, still thinking about it.

Can't wait to see how this project turns out, though. Why the LS9 cam? Think of boost down the road or is it a better cam than others?
the answer to WHY the LS9 , its the cheapest factory cam , in the low 100.00 range

the bad is everyone i know thats used it , wished they spent the money and went to a bigger custom cam
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

s/c'd cav wrote:
CrashTestDummy wrote:I'm kind of conflicted on this, too. IF I ever got 'The Tick', I'd go DOD-delete and moar cam. I'm not sure I'd go through the effort with the car running as well as it is, though. It might be better to get ahead of it before you're left on the side of the road on the way to an important meeting, or something, but yeah, still thinking about it.

the answer to WHY the LS9 , its the cheapest factory cam , in the low 100.00 range

the bad is everyone i know thats used it , wished they spent the money and went to a bigger custom cam
I don't disagree. Cost hands down. If I had long tubes and a proper intake I would have gone with a bigger cam. I never went cam first on any of my cars much less had an automatic so I had not a clue what kind of cam size would be adequate for a daily-ish car. I mean yes, the cost for a bigger cam is only a couple hundred which in the scheme of all the other work, isn't huge, but coupled with the long tubes, intake, exhaust, etc... well it added up. Down the road something a little angrier will go in. I figure with the LS9 cam, I will take a mod path similar to my Formula which was quite enjoyable.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

lastcall190 wrote:
s/c'd cav wrote:

I don't disagree. Cost hands down. If I had long tubes and a proper intake I would have gone with a bigger cam. I never went cam first on any of my cars much less had an automatic so I had not a clue what kind of cam size would be adequate for a daily-ish car. I mean yes, the cost for a bigger cam is only a couple hundred which in the scheme of all the other work, isn't huge, but coupled with the long tubes, intake, exhaust, etc... well it added up. Down the road something a little angrier will go in. I figure with the LS9 cam, I will take a mod path similar to my Formula which was quite enjoyable.

-J
yeah it makes for a tougher choice when you have a problem you have to fix

the LS9 cam is a decent cam , i think the LS3 is a bit better if you are staying n/a , but then you are likely finding a used one for the cost of the LS9 new , new always sounds better over a used

i had a pretty big cam in my old G8 , and when i pulled the intake and header back exhaust off and went back to stock parts to trade it in , it still ran pretty hard , but did feel like i was 60-70whp down , lol but for a custom cam they can spec out one for everything being stock and still work good once you add more parts later

you should be happy , its a great driving cam
tedwards0633

Post by tedwards0633 »

The cam I am getting installed will be a custom grind cam not a LS9, but it will be close in the specs. (I'll update the post with the specifics once I get it back) And yea I was on my lunch break when my cylinder collapsed and I was lucky to be by a shop. I started hearing a tick about a week before and I thought it was my exhaust manifold gasket only to now know that was the start of the end. The nice thing with these motors is that it shut down cylinder 1 which was the collapsed one, that save me from wreaking the block and spending an extra 2k-3k. I will be installing Kooks Shorty Headers before the start of the 19" summer to get the max out of the tune. This cam fix set me back a bit but I know I am getting the engine the way I envisioned just early than I expected.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

s/c'd cav wrote:i had a pretty big cam in my old G8 , and when i pulled the intake and header back exhaust off and went back to stock parts to trade it in , it still ran pretty hard , but did feel like i was 60-70whp down , lol
Hahahah absolutely... I did the same when I sold my old Formula. Car actually felt just as fast maybe because it wasn't so God forsakingly loud...

OP, Kooks mids for the G8? I was eyeballing these vs LTs since I would need to find a connection pipe to my Magnaflow. Good luck with the car work.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Silversled

Post by Silversled »

I installed my LS9 cam last year and have run it both N/A and blown. I like the cam very much. I really like the stock-like manners.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i