Harmonic Balancer Replaced, Still Has some play

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
chipperdoodles

Harmonic Balancer Replaced, Still Has some play

Post by chipperdoodles »

Hey! I can't seem to find an answer to my questions via internet search so i'm taking the dive and askin the knowledgable folks here.]

Tldr, the stock balancer on my caprice was def bad, super wobble and belt chirps. I replaced it with a dayco HB (the 70-80$ one) and an arp balancer bolt (and the belts while i was at it) but it looks like the balancer still has a decent amount of play. I didn't have the model specific tools for pulling and installing the balancer so i'm thinking maybe i just effed it up when putting the new one on? I'm a little nervous about it but the car runs fine and it's definitely improved with much less wobble and no more belt chirp. I'm thinking of trying to get my hands on proper install tools and trying again i've just been strapped on money and life's a bit chaotic.

Anyone have any similar experiences or advice? I'm a pretty newb mechanic so go easy on me >.<

Thanks!
kevink

Re: Harmonic Balancer Replaced, Still Has some play

Post by kevink »

The installation tool's only purpose is so you don't try to press the balancer on with the bolt. If you do that, the bolt will not be threaded into the crank far enough and you may pull the threads out when the balancer begins to be pressed onto the crank. If you were able to properly torque the ARP bolt, it should be installed correctly. If you pulled the threads out, it wouldn't have torqued properly. What did you torque it to and how did you keep the crank from turning while torquing it? I think it gets torqued to 235 ft-lbs. Did you lube the threads and under the bolt head?
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
chipperdoodles

Post by chipperdoodles »

I think that could be where i messed up, I'm bad at learning to properly torque things. I did use the provided lube on the threads and the head, but i was using an impact and just kinda went till it was snug (D:). Thanks for the reply btw, i have a history of messing things up on my first try.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

There's a TSB on those from GM.... depends on your year, they RR with new for the fix.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Use a torque wrench to get the actual value. Don't worry about messing up as it is how some things are learned, heh. Also I would recommend to use or make a proper install tool. Using a bolt to pull the pulley on runs the risk of pulling the crank threads. You will also need to find a way to hold the flexplate when torquing the crank bolt as well. Good luck man.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
kevink

Post by kevink »

I wouldn't run that engine again until you torque the bolt.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

lastcall190 wrote:Use a torque wrench to get the actual value. Don't worry about messing up as it is how some things are learned, heh. Also I would recommend to use or make a proper install tool. Using a bolt to pull the pulley on runs the risk of pulling the crank threads. You will also need to find a way to hold the flexplate when torquing the crank bolt as well. Good luck man.

-J
Like one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Flywheel-Flexpla ... B079R7VPNV
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
chipperdoodles

Post by chipperdoodles »

Ah! yeah i kinda remember holding the balancer in place with a pry bar and torqueing it on. It's definitely snug, just wobbles at idle, but for sure. Thanks a lot for the info, i'll keep you guys updated on how it goes.

Does anyone know if i can rent/borrow the proper puller/install tool from anywhere?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Puller, definitely should be able to rent, I believe I rented mine from Autozone many years back.

Install tool I made. Got some all-thread, bunch of thick fender washers, and a few massive nuts to push the pulley onto the snout. Once there, went through the torque. I had a manual trans car so I just put it in 4th, so I can't help you with the flywheel holder tool. They are cheap on Amazon if you need one in a pinch. I know others just do the "jam a screwdriver" trick.

Good luck. If the pulley is properly installed, I don't see why it would wobble, so definitely have a good look at it and redo if needed. Mine was wobbling and squeaking like a cricket. Had a new one put on with the DOD work, and new one doesn't wobble a bit. From your initial post it's the same one you have.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Tech56

Post by Tech56 »

I put a new AC Delco pulley on with an ARP bolt and my new pulley looks like it’s wobbling too. The bolt is tight so I’m not worrying about it