Oil pressure sensor range / oil pressure sensor

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Dammjoel

Re: Oil pressure sensor range / oil pressure sensor

Post by Dammjoel »

Hello guys I'm a new to this car and have the same issue going on with on with mine. I bought it from a guy in SC and had it shipped to MN. He said he never had this code before. He also had just changed the oil before it shipped to me. I went to napa and bought the sensor/sender and that fixed it for a day or so. Also it looks like the screen is already removed. Then thinking maybe the oil was low, because I was having a tough time seeing it on the stick, I drained and refilled it with 8qts of mobile 1. I didn't change the oil filter because it had just been changed but did notice it's a k&n oil filter. I've never used one of them before. Just yesterday now I went and installed a brand new AC Delco sensor/sender and low and behold the light came back after I cleared it. Any suggestions? My next step is changing the oil filter. What are the odds if it's not the filter that its wiring or the plug connector?
Sanford

Post by Sanford »

I believe there is a GM technical bulletin on using a different AC filter. I did a quick Google search, but I did not have any luck. I think the replacement flows better. I have been using the PF48E’s without any issues.

A high end scan tool will show the oil pressure.

The last driveable car that I bought supposedly needed major engine work due to the oil light coming on. The oil looked a little nasty, so I changed oil and the light has never come on since. I have not babied it and the oil pressure is pretty close to other Caprices in my fleet.

David
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Has DOD been deleted? (the missing screen is a clue to this) Or the oil pump replaced? I had that exact same code when I did the DOD delete on my 9-7x because I used the wrong pump. It needed the DOD specific high volume and pressure pump.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
Dammjoel

Post by Dammjoel »

Sanford wrote: Sun Jun 07, 2020 9:19 pm I believe there is a GM technical bulletin on using a different AC filter. I did a quick Google search, but I did not have any luck. I think the replacement flows better. I have been using the PF48E’s without any issues.

A high end scan tool will show the oil pressure.

The last driveable car that I bought supposedly needed major engine work due to the oil light coming on. The oil looked a little nasty, so I changed oil and the light has never come on since. I have not babied it and the oil pressure is pretty close to other Caprices in my fleet.

David

I will try the filter first and see if that helps this week. Like j said I've never used a k&n oil filter so hopefully that is it.

It does have the DOD deleted and a built top end. The parts list showed a new oil pump but I am not positive about if it is a high pressure high volume. I'm going to dig deeper this week on all of it and fill in what happens.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

EDIT: didn't realize I already replied to this thread in the past
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...