Oil pressure sensor range / oil pressure sensor

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Can't Wait

Oil pressure sensor range / oil pressure sensor

Post by Can't Wait »

My check engine light came on and it was the oil pressure sensor, I change it and after about 3 months maybe it came back on and sometimes go off and comes back on wha t could be cause this to come back and off help thanks in advance
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Oil pressure sensor range / oil pressure sensor

Post by smwalker »

If I recall correctly, and i might not. Right under the pressure sender in the hole is a little puck with a screen on it that some of the G8 guys had issues with. Might want to dig that out and tale a look at it.

Hope that helps.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Sorry for hijack, but I was actually just going to post and rather have two threads back to back on the same thing, figured I'd add my experience.

Timely thread, I have been chasing a P0521 code since I changed my oil the first time with a PF48E filter (I saw the TSB on a search here, and the temps were single digits and teens around that time). Changed out filter for the UPF48R, went away. Came back on a drive to tune the car, tuned the car, went away. Ran a few errands, nothing. Drove yesterday to the store, came back on the way home from the store, and that was with a new sensor and new screen (stock was almost spotless after 94k miles). I have an OP test plug arriving today and a mechanical gauge I am going to hook up to check the pressure. Pending the pressure checks out, my only guess would be a bad sensor out of the box? Quite annoying as I want to just get the damn car inspected and there seems to be no pattern for the code coming and going.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Can't Wait

Post by Can't Wait »

Thanks guys I will look in to both I just know I put a sensor on and it's strange to me that it would happen, didn't know if I was alone on this one
indianajoe

Post by indianajoe »

Are you guys using oem sensors? That's what did the trick for me
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Fresh OEM sensor and lifter filter. I saw a thread on the G8 board where someone unplugged batteries overnight and it fixed the code and never came back... I can't imagine why it would but I'm sure someone way smarter could explain to me why. After I did that, the car fired right up, idled a while, no light. Would've taken to work today to check it out on a long drive, but one of my headlights decided to burn out overnight :roll: I've also seen guys change sensor, no change, but then change the oil and filter, and light never comes back. I'm interested to see what my mech gauge comes back with.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Don't these engines also have a known issue where the o-ring for the oil pump pickup slips, or something like that? Might be something else to look at if the oil pressure really is dropping.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Can't Wait

Post by Can't Wait »

Need to buy an oem sensor and see wha t happens, I will keep y'all inform
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Any updates? I've been chasing mine for weeks, and monitoring pressure on the Torque App. I can clear it, drive around a few times, then it comes back and my entire operating range of oil PSI seems to just scale down the moment the light trips.

Let us know.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

On my other vehicle (2006 Saab 9-7x 5.3L, aka: Trailblazer), when I deleted the DOD, I replaced the oil pump with a regular LS pump. When the oil was below 50% life left, P0521 code came up. Replaced the sensor (no screen anymore), same. After some research, finally determined that I used the wrong oil pump. Should have been a high pressure and volume pump for DOD. Even though DOD hardware is all gone, the bypass in the pan is still there and probably still affects pressure. I never bothered with it, still comes on and after an oil change, goes away on its own. I believe this code is specific for DOD systems so that there is adequate oil pressure for it.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419