Rocker arm upgrades

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Jaked1985

Rocker arm upgrades

Post by Jaked1985 »

So, when I bought my '11, it had already been deleted. Running a little lunati cam with btr .660 springs. The previous owner
told me the rockers were stock and didn't know the pushrod length. The car runs well, but, has a fair amount of chatter/sewing machine sound. I'm going to pull the valve covers to check preload this weekend and see if I need to swap the pushrods out for a different size. I figured while I'm in there, it would be a good time to swap rockers.

There are about a million choices from what I've found online, so I wanted to ask some of you guys what you're running/if there is a decent set out there under the $500 mark that are a worthwhile upgrade?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Rocker arm upgrades

Post by Navy Lifer »

Just an opinion, but unless plans are to spin the thing up past 7000, the OE rockers with a bushing upgrade is probably best option. Newest thing I've seen is a shaft setup from COMP, which still uses OE rocker arms--and won't be under $500.

https://www.enginelabs.com/engine-tech/ ... s-engines/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jaked1985

Post by Jaked1985 »

I read up last night a bit about the trunion upgrade, I'm a little green to say the least when it comes to LS based engine mods. Before this car, my last "toy" had a SBC in it. So, I'm learning alot with this thing as I go.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Note that a fair amount of that 'sewing machine' sound comes from the accessory drives and injectors. Our '12 is factory stock and sounds like a Singer under the hood.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
kevink

Post by kevink »

There is no reason to replace the rockers for your application. The stockers are actually great as long as you use a bronze trunnion upgrade to get rid of the needle bearing that have a habit of failing and circulating through your engine.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

For a rocker arm upgrade, Straub makes a kit that seems to have a decent amount of favor.

If you do an upgrade, I would aim to get one that gets rid of the needle bearings personally.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
kevink

Post by kevink »

Straub is only okay. I had to get three different sets before I got one that was usable. I am seriously questioning the quality of the Straub set and would never buy another one of his kits. The machining on the brass bearings is horrible, yet still considered "normal" by Straub.

Manton recently started making one kit that looks amazing. Manton is an awesome company that makes killer parts. If I had to get another trunion kit, it would definitely be from Manton.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Good info thanks for the counterpoint.

Time for some more research for me...

EDIT: link to mentioned Manton (knew the name sounded familiar, they do a bunch of parts for diesel applications as well...)

http://rollerrockerarms.com/ls-billet-t ... nnion-kit/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...