LSA Supercharger Installation

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CrashTestDummy

Re: LSA Supercharger Installation

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, that's why my projects usually need a week, or two to complete. Try this part, put it in the spares box, order another part to try. Wash, rinse, repeat as necessary until the project is complete. The 'only' thing I'm missing is the welder, welding skilz, and the mill. :lol: But I do know people who can do some of the welding.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

9) TUNE CONSIDERATIONS FOR STARTUP

Firstly….This sub-section isn’t a tuning guide. Use this data at your own risk.

For those who want to get their car started for whatever reason, here are the bare minimum things that need to be changed so your ECM doesn’t freak out and shut down. I’m using HPTuners but this data is required for any re-flash software. If you are running a stand alone ECM like a Motec M150 you already know what you are doing and probably don’t need any of this info.

This installation changes 3 fundamental sensors that your engine relies on. These being the MAP and IAT sensors used to calculate mass air in the ECM’s speed density or VE (volumentric efficiency) subsystem and the MAF itself within the mass airflow subsystem.

I found the IAT sensor calibration on the stock L77 to be nearly identical to the one on the ZL1 lid so I left the calibration as is.

The MAP sensor on the ZL1 lid is a 3-Bar unit (versus the stock 1-Bar) with the following linearity and offset values:

The MAF sensor calibration I used for the stock LS7 card style sensor:

Another thing that changed was the installation of LSA/LS9 fuel injectors. The characterization tables for Injector Control also need to be updated for these injectors. For startup and initial tuning, I like to use these injectors because GM has very detailed characterization data. I can plug the data in and never have to wonder if my fueling errors are because of bad injector data. I have a set of ID1050x’s for this build and they have excellent data but I still like starting with the stock GM stuff. There are more than several flow, latency and offset tables that need to updated and I won’t list them here or explain what they mean. However the items that need changing are shown below. The data can be taken off any stock ZR1, CTS-V, or ZL1 base tune file.

After making these changes and uploading the base tune, the car fired right up. I let the datalogger collect data for about five minutes while I looked for fuel or coolant leaks. Below is the actual data log of the startup. Note that the ECM is pulling as much as 25%+ of fueling to keep the air/fuel at stoichiometric. Also it was noted that there was a lot of work to be done to improve idle quality.

After some work on idle base RPM, Idle Timing, and Idle Air Control and several iterations of MAF scaling, the long term fuel trims are within 1.5%, within 1% at WOT, and the car idles solidly. Tuning will be ongoing to calibrate the virtual volumetric efficiency tables and then spark advance optimization.

Here she is.

https://youtu.be/ZbR-zjOtS3M
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Very nice work! Car sounds a bit loud. What exhaust are you running? I do sense a bit of lope, but not much.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Gerome

Post by Gerome »

Sounds great ! You install looks oem , no wires everywhere , nothing looks shade tree or backyard made . I will be sending my car to you when the weather breaks lol .
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Very nice work! Car sounds a bit loud. What exhaust are you running? I do sense a bit of lope, but not much.
LOL. It was loud before the blower too! Kooks 1-7/8" with race cat midpipe. Mufflers are Borla Touring. If anyone ever says Kooks headers are not loud they are either 20 years old, deaf, or flat out lying to you. A Magnaflow dual-dual resonator is on its way to tame the noise.

I've actually set the RPM and idle timing advance a little higher and clamped down on the proportional idle control in this vid so it smooths it out. I can make it chop pretty well on demand. The LS9 cam is very versatile in this regard. However I'm old so I like my cars now smooth with a little chop.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Gerome wrote:Sounds great ! You install looks oem , no wires everywhere , nothing looks shade tree or backyard made . I will be sending my car to you when the weather breaks lol .

Thanks Gerome! Nothing more embarrassing than opening up your hood to another car enthusiast just to have excuses for shoddy work dominate the conversation. I just like stuff clean and neat. It’s a problem I have. LOL.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Silversled wrote:
Gerome wrote:Sounds great ! You install looks oem , no wires everywhere , nothing looks shade tree or backyard made . I will be sending my car to you when the weather breaks lol .

Thanks Gerome! Nothing more embarrassing than opening up your hood to another car enthusiast just to have excuses for shoddy work dominate the conversation. I just like stuff clean and neat. It’s a problem I have. LOL.
“Yeah, that’s how these cars come from the factory. So if you see one in the mirror, you might as well pull over, ‘cause you ain’t gonna out run it!”

:lol: :shock: :lol:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
lastcall190

Post by lastcall190 »

Thanks for posting pics/guide. Very clean car.

-J
2012 Caprice
2008 CVPI

Both gone but not forgotten...
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

lastcall190 wrote:Thanks for posting pics/guide. Very clean car.

-J
Thanks lastcall190.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
PPV

Post by PPV »

Vic, excellent wright up. Probably the best detail I’ve seen for a Holden lsa conversion! I know I will be referencing it when it’s time.
Jeff

I put a link in the ss forum so others can benefit from your work.

http://www.ssforums.com/forum/forced-in ... ics/168898" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
1970 SS454 Monte Carlo - triple black
1971 SS454 Monte Carlo - Red w/ black gut & top
1970 Convertible Mont Carlo - Sold
1968 K10 short wheel base
2009 Silverado 1500
2013 9C1 - PBM - Sold
2013 CTS-V Coupe Silver Frost Matte Eddition
2017 SS - PBM - M6 - Roof - Sold
2019 Silverado 1500 - LTZ 6.2