Hypertech Max Energy tuner - Will it work?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
K9Vic

Hypertech Max Energy tuner - Will it work?

Post by K9Vic »

Hey all I am new here, but I wanted see if anyone would be interested in tunners for your Caprice PPV? I currently have a Hypertech Max Energy that I was using on my 2009 Tahoe PPV and Hypertech had to make a custom tune for it, but it works. Since I will be getting a Caprice PPV here soon I asked them if they had a program for it, but they do not. So I was thinking if I let them know there are others interested maybe they might make one or get it out sooner. This is not a group buy or anything like that, just wondering if others would be interested so I can let them know.

This is what they sent me, so seems like maybe it can be done. I plan to send them my info as soon as I get my car.
We do not have any type of tuning device for this vehicle and this is the first request that I’m aware of; I’ve never heard of this application before but it did come up in our database so I entered a request. We may eventually but no word as to when at this time. We will not know the availability for a new application until a week or so prior to the release. I've entered your contact information so you'll be notified once ready. Thanks
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Hypertech Max Energy tuner - Will it work?

Post by elc32955 »

They'll probably need a copy of a stock calibration in order to mod it. If they offer tuning for the G8 it's somewhat similar, the tables are somewhat more extensive in the Caprice because of the FlexFuel option and there are a few other differences.

I'm tuned with a very good street tune using HP Tuners, personally if you have the $$$ that would be the way to go. Used interfaces up on EBAY off & on so you don't have to pay full price if you don't have the cash. I haven't heard of any after-market tuners except HP and the PCM-4-less guys that are offering tuning right now, although there are probably others out there. Maybe Troutman or ZerOne or CP can tell us what's going on in Aus with tuning as far as stand-alone programmers for Holdens....

BTW - welcome to the system!

Take care
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

Thanks for the info on the HP Tuner. But for now I am going to keep up with Hyertech and see if they can make a program for it using my Caprice and tuner as a base calibration. They said the have it in their database, so it should be possible. I have already deprogrammed my Tahoe so when I get my Caprice next week I can send them the info.
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

My Hypertech Max Energy was able to read the vehicle VIN and calibration OK and say there is no program which would be correct. This is what happened to my 2009 Tahoe PPV and they had a program for it in a few days after I sent my vehicle calibration to them. I did the same and sent the Caprice to Hypertech so I will see what happens in a few days. Hopefully they can make up a program for it based on a G8 or something similar. I will keep you all updated.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. They are breaking new ground that I know of as far as the canned programmer tunes for the L77. You might also see if they can give you an option for AFM "off" if you want in your tune. That way it's 8 cylinders all the time....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Hey K9... any word back from the Hypertech bunch?

Eric
K9Vic

Post by K9Vic »

I was going to post last night, but got busy.

They do not support any vehicles from Australia and can be seen with the lack of G8 and GXP on their web page. So I sold it and will be looking for other options in a few months. I took the email they sent me with the calibration stating it is not supported as fact and that it will never happen.

So I made the mistake when I bought the Hypertech as I should have bough a HP tuner for my Tahoe.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Remember with HP Tuners you can mix & match vehicles. One tuner package will work for two dissimilar vehicles. If you buy it stock from HP you get a certain amount of "credits" that can be used to purchase individual vehicle licenses. It comes with 8 credits out of the box (4 vehicles I think..). If it comes used on EBAY you probably will get whatever is left over on the interface plus you have the option to purchase more.

Wonder why Hypertech didn't want to support the new Holden imports. Hope that they realize they just aced themselves out of the new SS market as well....

Eric