AFM/DOD Delete, Cam, Headers, Intake, Tuning Info Needed

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
lonewolfatl

AFM/DOD Delete, Cam, Headers, Intake, Tuning Info Needed

Post by lonewolfatl »

Hey there everyone! New to the Caprice and this forum. I know this is a common topic, but most of the existing threads that I have seen only hit on certain parts of the info I'm seeking, and to be frank, I don't have 10 hours of free time to browse and search.

I just purchased my first Caprice. It's a 2011 with 118K. Got a great deal on it at a local auction along with a few HEMI Chargers (which have proven to be way more reliable in my experience.) This is my second Chevy LS type (I know this is an L77) motor that has screwed up on me this year. This one ran great, but had a weird noise at the back on the driver side. I took the driver side head off and found that the cam was damaged, but the lifter was still good overall.

So my plan is to swap the cam with a performance racing cam and while I'm at it delete the stupid AFM, put some good headers on it, put a better air intake, exhaust, and tune it. My main question is what quality performance parts do you all who have experience with these engines suggest I purchase? I know they will cost me more than standard OE parts, but at the same time I'm not looking to pay 5 times more.

Parts needed:
-AFM/DOD Delete Kit (Lifters, valley cover, gaskets, bolts)
-Performance Camshaft
-Long Headers
-Cold Air Intake (CAI)
-Exhaust

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide me!
Attachments
Caprice.jpeg
Caprice.jpeg (1.12 MiB) Viewed 17645 times
Silversled

Re: AFM/DOD Delete, Cam, Headers, Intake, Tuning Info Needed

Post by Silversled »

Welcome.

As a general rule, I'd recommend replacing your lifters and pushrods if your cam is damaged.

Here is what I did for headers,
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2072

Here is what I did for cam and DOD delete,
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2317
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
lonewolfatl

Post by lonewolfatl »

Silversled wrote:Welcome.

As a general rule, I'd recommend replacing your lifters and pushrods if your cam is damaged.

Here is what I did for headers,
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2072

Here is what I did for cam and DOD delete,
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2317
Great info! Thanks for narrowing my part search down.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

lonewolfatl wrote:
If you need a list of DOD delete parts I used, let me know or PM me.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
lonewolfatl

Post by lonewolfatl »

Silversled wrote:
lonewolfatl wrote:
If you need a list of DOD delete parts I used, let me know or PM me.
That would be good. I know replacing the lifters is an absolute must, and I don't trust the GM brand ones on bit. I was hoping there would be a good delete kit I could buy. I have seen some that include everything, lifters, valley cover, gaskets, bolts, etc. at a decent combo price. But I'm not sure that they are the quality I need. I saw on the link you listed they changed the lifters, push rods, rocker arms, and all. The lifters they used seem good and reasonably priced. The push rods seemed a bit expensive to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I really need to be paying $135 for push rods? And do the rocker arms need to be changed?

I do also plan to change the timing chain and guide while I'm in there.

Lastly, I saw on the link they used an LS9 cam. Is that an optimal choice for performance and reliability? I've seen aftermarket ones up to $350, where as the LS9 is around $115.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

LS9 is a factory type cam for the supercharged motors so its profile is built for that idea of forced induction. If you are trying to go on the cheaper side I highly suggest thinking about using a OEM ls3 cam which is the same price range new and has very decent lift numbers. You can also get more out of it than the stock engines that use it with the long tube headers and a good tune that you already are planning. I have one in my car with stock exhaust and I love it just like that.
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

lonewolfatl wrote:
That would be good. I know replacing the lifters is an absolute must, and I don't trust the GM brand ones on bit. I was hoping there would be a good delete kit I could buy. I have seen some that include everything, lifters, valley cover, gaskets, bolts, etc. at a decent combo price. But I'm not sure that they are the quality I need. I saw on the link you listed they changed the lifters, push rods, rocker arms, and all. The lifters they used seem good and reasonably priced. The push rods seemed a bit expensive to me. Correct me if I'm wrong, but do I really need to be paying $135 for push rods? And do the rocker arms need to be changed?

I do also plan to change the timing chain and guide while I'm in there.

Lastly, I saw on the link they used an LS9 cam. Is that an optimal choice for performance and reliability? I've seen aftermarket ones up to $350, where as the LS9 is around $115.
Only you can decide what quality of components you need and what you ultimately want to do with your engine. For me, I needed OEM+. I've had an LS7 lifter fail and Morels drop ins have better machine surfaces and are individually inspected and flow tested according to them. My rockers are stock but as shown I replaced the needle bearings with bronze bushings. I use Trend Performance rods because they are custom ground to my length and I've used them in builds of various power levels; I just trust them. I've actually seen a box of pushrods from a major manufacturer with several of the rods having different sized oiling holes. The "big box" pushrods are fine but again I wanted OEM+. I also chose the LS9 cam because I'll be installing an LSA blower over Christmas. I didn't want a choppy cam for this build so the LS9 cam fit the bill. If I were staying with N/A, I probably would have went LS3.
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
robbyburty

Post by robbyburty »

I'll take those Push Bar Brackets....if you don't want them. Of course I'll pay the shipping.

:D

Let me know.

Rob
lonewolfatl

Post by lonewolfatl »

robbyburty wrote:I'll take those Push Bar Brackets....if you don't want them. Of course I'll pay the shipping.

:D

Let me know.

Rob
I was actually debating what to do with the push bumper at first. I have the whole thing I just took the bumper itself off so I could reach the motor better. I really like it without it which is unusual for me because I like to put push bumpers on everything. But I think with the angle of the front end it makes it look buck toothed. However, I also tend to change my mind and the outer portion of the brackets are easy to remove and replace without having to remove the bumper so I’m going to hold onto it for now.

All very helpful. Thanks everyone. I will probably go with the LS9 because I plan to keep it awhile and heck, if I start making some good money I might just drop a supercharger in it. And from what I’ve seen the LS9 doesn’t cost that much.

The only thing I’m wondering right now is if there is a quality AFM delete kit with the gaskets, valley cover, bolts, and some quality lifters. Or if I should just source all the parts individually?
lonewolfatl

Post by lonewolfatl »

Also, do the LS9 cams come with a tuning guide?