oil pan shield

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

oil pan shield

Post by Navy Lifer »

Whether this is the right forum to post this, I'm not sure, but here goes....

One of the things most of you are aware of is that the VE II (after G8) Holden Commodore received some aerodynamic enhancements under the car--for fuel economy improvement, ostensibly.

There has been previous discussion in the 2014 SS thread, on pages 3 & 4 (with pictures): viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75&start=30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Past discussion with C.P. made it clear the VE (and coming VF - SS) aero panels are not going to fit 100% correct on the WM platform due to the wheelbase difference--and it remains to be seen whether the WN may get it's own aero package. But the oil pan shield, which was part of the original VE aero package, does fit WM--so I got one, and finally installed it.

The shield is PN 92180526 and is not currently available in US--that may change when the Chevy SS parts "list" is uploaded to the US inventory. The shield is secured to the frame rails with 6 bolts, PN 11519388--in actuality, 2 of these bolts are already in place, so only 4 additional bolts are required. Cost was $100 not including bolts or shipping (came in a larger order)--so I can't offer complete cost information about the part ordered separately (from C.P.).

If there is a downside to adding the shield, it's that it will be necessary to remove it whenever it's time to change the oil--both the drain plug and filter are not accessible with the shield in place. This type of shield has become quite common in the industry as part of fuel economy improvement efforts, so it's really nothing new and not that big of a deal to remove the shield as part routine servicing.

I cannot predict whether this shield is compatible with headers (with or without modification).
Tom Slick

Re: oil pan shield

Post by Tom Slick »

Why not get the ProGard Skid plate for our Caprice?

It allows you to change the oil/filter without removal, and adds better protection...

Later,
Tom Slick
1932 Glassic Ford Model A Roadster Replica - Ford 302/C4, approx. 1400lb... :-)
2015 GMC Sierra SLE Extended Cab - 5.3L
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Why not, indeed, Tom? Let's start with the fact that I wasn't aware of the existence of such a part (not specifically, anyway). I'm not planning to do any off-roading to need a "skid plate", and the majority of vehicles on the road today get by just fine without one.

Try providing more information when you make your frequent "why not...." suggestions in the future, instead of just stepping on the intent of other comments as you have here--your post in response contains a tease, with no real value-added content--where to buy, part number, cost, etc. Does ProGard even sell to the public?

In defense of the Holden part, it was designed as a component of the VE II aero package, not as a protective device, even though the naming as "oil pan shield" may imply otherwise.

It (skid plate) may, in fact, be a better approach that achieves the same objective with more/greater benefits. Find out more specifics and let us all know the details.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Bill,

No need to get snippy... just offered a suggestion as to another option... if you want to get snippy, take it to PM's, not here.

http://www.pro-gard.com/products/skid_plates.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes, the public can purchase the skid plate...

Later,
Tom Slick
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

Hmmm. That's interesting.

The skid plate is nice. Especially for the ease of changing oil. I like heavy duty. I like metal. The plastic shield does nothing for me except get in the way when changing oil.

A friend of mine has a VW TDI wagon. And we have to remove like 10 screws to remove the shield from his car to get to the drain plug...which are torx...and 2 different sizes...which must be removed with a ratchet drive because they don't spin free enough to use a hand driver...and someone (not us) managed to strip/cross thread a few other the years (at the VW garage for other maintenance)... See where I am going with this? He puts many miles on that car and we change oil every 3000 KM (that's KM, not miles, he is from Europe and he is somewhat nuts for changing oil that often, but I can't argue with him about it). Anyways, I am "psychologically damaged" (lol) from removing that shield a million that I certainly wouldn't add one to my car. :lol:
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Tom, good find on the Pro-Guard plate. I checked pricing quickly and list is only $77 on the piece. Plus, you can still change the oil. I am so very tempted to get one just for the hell of it... Install instructions are in PDF at the linky. Nothing like a little extra armor-plating for the investment. Also there's a link to the New Jersey Pro-Guard contract if you google search the part number, you can get all sorts of wonderful mods for our cars including Kevlar ballistic door panels. Those might come in handy one of these days.... lol....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Tom, good find on the Pro-Guard plate. I checked pricing quickly and list is only $77 on the piece. Plus, you can still change the oil. I am so very tempted to get one just for the hell of it... Install instructions are in PDF at the linky. Nothing like a little extra armor-plating for the investment. Also there's a link to the New Jersey Pro-Guard contract if you google search the part number, you can get all sorts of wonderful mods for our cars including Kevlar ballistic door panels. Those might come in handy one of these days.... lol....

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Tom Slick

Post by Tom Slick »

Eric,

Where did you find it for $77? I might just have to order one today!

Later,
Tom Slick
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

Here is a photo of the aluminum skid plate fron Setina.
Installed in about 20 minutes including getting it on and off the lift.

Andy
Twotonfun

Post by Twotonfun »

here is another view. Yes the filter can be removed with out removing the plate

Andy