Problems after oil cooler delete?

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Taters

Problems after oil cooler delete?

Post by Taters »

I am new and I am already sensing this is a topic that is beat to death on here,but I am having a hard time finding a current or straight forward answer. I am considering doing an oil cooler delete and installing a set of g8 headers,has anyone had issues after doing this? My car already has a DOD delete which im guessing removes some strain from the lubrication system,am I still taking a risk not running a cooler? Does anyone have a line on a set of ss headers that aren't 750 or more?That would be my preferred route.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Problems after oil cooler delete?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Some discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=214&hilit=oil+cooler+delete

Note that leadfart was running a S/C on his Caprice w/o any cooler.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Taters

Post by Taters »

I read this thread earlier and saw that,pretty compelling argument for just deleting it.
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

I spose you can compare the cost of G8 headers + oil cooler + fittings hoses hardware + time spent making it all work VS price of quality SS headers that come with gaskets and locking hardware and just bolt on
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
Taters

Post by Taters »

jackleg wrote:I spose you can compare the cost of G8 headers + oil cooler + fittings hoses hardware + time spent making it all work VS price of quality SS headers that come with gaskets and locking hardware and just bolt on
when you say it like that.lol
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I've been looking at the issue more from a 'what's going to be simpler and supportable in the future' angle. If you remove the water/oil cooler, you; 1. eliminate a potential to contaminate the oil with coolant, and/or the coolant with oil in the future, when the cooler fails, AND eliminate the octopus that is the radiator hoses on the Caprice, switching to G8 hoses, instead. One would incur additional costs if adding an oil/air cooler with a proper cooler adapter with a thermostat, but at least you'd eliminate the potential for problems down the line.

Then, you're free to run whatever exhaust setup you want to. But, then again, there's all of the additional costs.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Taters

Post by Taters »

CrashTestDummy wrote:I've been looking at the issue more from a 'what's going to be simpler and supportable in the future' angle. If you remove the water/oil cooler, you; 1. eliminate a potential to contaminate the oil with coolant, and/or the coolant with oil in the future, when the cooler fails, AND eliminate the octopus that is the radiator hoses on the Caprice, switching to G8 hoses, instead. One would incur additional costs if adding an oil/air cooler with a proper cooler adapter with a thermostat, but at least you'd eliminate the potential for problems down the line.

Then, you're free to run whatever exhaust setup you want to. But, then again, there's all of the additional costs.
hell,i cant seem to find a set of g8 1 7/8 headers that don't cost just as much as the ss headers anyways. All I can seem to find for less that 600 are 1 3/4.