DOD/AFM issues

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
BIG_GREEK

DOD/AFM issues

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Picked up my 2014 new a month ago, had 200 some miles on it. Now it has just over 1000, love the car! Now, this is my first car with DOD/AFM but I don't think you should be able to tell the difference with it on or off.

Going about 60-75MPH down the highway there is a rumble (drone), almost like a wheel bearing gone bad, I realize that this is the AFM working. I go to deactivate the AFM by giving it a little more throttle, noise goes right away. Its to the point where I feel it in the floor and the rear view mirror is vibrating. Car performs well, no lights, no noises (other than whats stated above).

Normal...or????
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Re: DOD/AFM issues

Post by Pursuit »

Yes, that sounds about right. Sounds a "little" on the noisy side, but typical. There area few ways to get rid of the AFM. Tuning it out is possible (least expensive) or doing a cam/lifter DOD delete (most expensive). Any changes in the stock exhaust system could make the sound more noticeable. The stock system is very restrictive, but does a good job tuning the 4 cylinder sound out.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Heavens no, this doesn't sound normal. I drove my 2014 from Illinois to Florida and for practically two days it was running on 4 cylinders without a groan, chug, click, or any noise at all. Was even more seamless than my C7 Stingray.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Yea this does seem a little excessive, if I were a customer with little/no mechanical knowledge/experience, I would definitely say something about this noise. But I didn't know if it was normal or not for these cars.

elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you're still under factory warranty, dealer-ize the problem. Make them tell you it's normal, that way if something goes south later you've both documented the concern and your attempt to have it corrected through the warranty maintenance channels. Just sayin.... :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Oh yea of course, im taking it in this week to replace the headlights. They already don't like me, they say im "Knit picking" :lol: *headlights obviously deteriorating, I complain, they shoo me out the door*

BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

So I did a little bit of research, found out about a TSB on the shuddering/vibration during AFM 4cyl activation that listed the L77. The tsb was dated 2015

Apparently, the torque converter clutch regulator valve spring breaks and causes the torque converter slip drop to zero when it isn't supposed to, causing the shudder.
Fix is a new lower valve body.

BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Car is currently at the dealer (and has been for the past week and 1/2) and according to GM, this is a normal issue because its a harsh/severe duty vehicle....I call b/s. Called GM and now my dealer is blowing my phone up...lets see what happens, ill keep you guys posted.

BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Update number 2....after a very terrible experience with my original dealer, I chose to go to another dealer. These guys actually looked at the car and attempted a diagnosis. They took the car and used a "vibrometer" (used to check NVH, Noise/vibration/harshness) to measure the nvh percentage. My car during 4cyl mode registered at 2.8%, they also tested another 2014 caprice and it was around 7%. They told me GM's limit is 7%, so the car is within spec and there's nothing they can do.

On that note, looks as if im going to get rid of AFM/DOD, because that's when the vibration occurs. BUT, I also did notice that my car has a 6year 100k mile warranty, I was under the impression it only had a 5yr/50k. So im kinda on the fence on doing the delete now or just wait.

kevink

Post by kevink »

Do it now. The only way to repair it correctly after you've had failure is to tear the engine down completely so it can be cleaned properly. Dealers don't do that.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.