HP Tuners works!

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
Arcticolds442

Re: HP Tuners works!

Post by Arcticolds442 »

Thanks for those links. I'll play around with the 93 octane tune just for something to do while I wait for the harware mods to begin.

I've read some of that trans info in the past and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. From the looks of things you should be able to adjust the speed / pressure tables / TM for just sport mode and leave normal alone to acheive the split personality. I will be playing with this over the next couple of weeks and I will report back what I learn (if anything!)

From Chris@HPT from link above:
Sport mode is:
Pressure Table Y
Pattern A for shift pressure
"Special" table for shift speed
2012 9C1 DD - stock for now
'72 Olds 4-4-2
'65 AMC Rambler - LQ4/T56 work in progress
"No Bucks Given" '84 VetteKart
'65 Cutlass
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Arcticolds442 wrote: I've read some of that trans info in the past and I'm still trying to wrap my head around it. From the looks of things you should be able to adjust the speed / pressure tables / TM for just sport mode and leave normal alone to acheive the split personality. I will be playing with this over the next couple of weeks and I will report back what I learn (if anything!)
Please! Keep us informed. I've never been impressed with the shifting of the manu-matic cars I've driven.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

I found this link showing the trans learn procedures interesting,but I am having no luck getting these functions to perform. anyone else have luck?

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showthrea ... fast+learn
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

I stopped by a new neighbor's house over the weekend and introduced myself. He's a G8 guy with some nice mods to his car. Has at least a couple G8 buddies too. I asked him about tuning and said he has a friend with an HP Tuner that might be able to hook me up with some services. Not sure what to do now. I'd like the throttle response fixed and the tranny tweeked a bit, but what else is there to be worth the time?

I'm on the fence about the tranny tweeks because I don't want banging shifts every time. Having it tuned for manual shifting only or have it shift hard in performance mode only would be sweet. I don't know what experience the guy has with it but I'd like to know a bit more before I jump into it.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I have asked my remote tuner repeatedly if there was some way to have the trans tune doing different things with the "sport" button. He uses EFI live and says there is not a way to do that because that button is for changing the traction control program and is not affecting anything in the trans itself. That said I've been refining the trans only part of my tune for a while, its on probably #8 revision now and I'm relatively happy with it now, definately better than stock and isn't banging gears or making anyone think something weird is happening when I mash the skinny pedal.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

So, how does it work anyway? Is there programs that can be saved and exchanged as desired. i.e...

Can a program developed by another member pass it on to another for loading into their car? I think this is true because I've heard there are "base" programs" for some cars out there.

If that's the case, how compatible are G8 programs?

Can a programmer save my current stock program in case I want to go back to it later?
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

Yes and no. You can't just upload the tune that Im using, for example. You use what is called "compare mode" between any given file and the tune that you are using. It highlights all of the parameters and allows you to go through and choose which parameters you would like to use and which you would like to leave as the previous tune was. Essentially its like copy and paste through a bunch of excel files; tedious but easy.

The tune that I am using is a slightly modified G8 GT file. I could have used it as-is, but I wanted a few specific things changed, i.e. e85 still functional. Really, though, you can use a tune from any car that you like, it just may not work. Say you do an LSA swap, just copy a base tune from a car that had an LSA.

There is a database from HP tunes that people have uploaded"base" files that you can pull from. There wasnot any PPV file, but I uploaded my stock file for my 2012. I dont know how major the differences are across the years, but I would think it would work fine for any year. They are all free to access and download.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

Raunchtastic wrote:Yes and no. You can't just upload the tune that Im using, for example. You use what is called "compare mode" between any given file and the tune that you are using. It highlights all of the parameters and allows you to go through and choose which parameters you would like to use and which you would like to leave as the previous tune was. Essentially its like copy and paste through a bunch of excel files; tedious but easy.

The tune that I am using is a slightly modified G8 GT file. I could have used it as-is, but I wanted a few specific things changed, i.e. e85 still functional. Really, though, you can use a tune from any car that you like, it just may not work. Say you do an LSA swap, just copy a base tune from a car that had an LSA.

There is a database from HP tunes that people have uploaded"base" files that you can pull from. There wasnot any PPV file, but I uploaded my stock file for my 2012. I dont know how major the differences are across the years, but I would think it would work fine for any year. They are all free to access and download.
If I understand correctly, you got a G8 GT file from public domain and the program shows you what the difference is between your current setup and the file. You manually made all the changes minus the E85 removal and told in to "save" it to the car. You can (if you want) save your modified program as a PPV base mod with E85 compatibility and upload it for others.

My next two questions are: Is it obvious what changes you're doing to the tune and which way they should go? I get the impression that doing test runs while programming will tweak it along the way. And, is it worth buying my own HP Tuner to tinker with it on a regular basis?

Finally, what major changes are there to be made that I'm not thinking of? I know the DOD delete, Transmission shift hardness, throttle response, higher speed limiter and the E85 elimination you mentioned.

While all this seems "neat" I haven't heard what HP or ET gains I'd get for a stock PPV. Is it something I should be running out and doing as a priority mod? I don't have plans to do much mechanically with the drivetrain.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
Raunchtastic

Post by Raunchtastic »

yargnits wrote:
If I understand correctly, you got a G8 GT file from public domain and the program shows you what the difference is between your current setup and the file. You manually made all the changes minus the E85 removal and told in to "save" it to the car. You can (if you want) save your modified program as a PPV base mod with E85 compatibility and upload it for others.

My next two questions are: Is it obvious what changes you're doing to the tune and which way they should go? I get the impression that doing test runs while programming will tweak it along the way. And, is it worth buying my own HP Tuner to tinker with it on a regular basis?

Finally, what major changes are there to be made that I'm not thinking of? I know the DOD delete, Transmission shift hardness, throttle response, higher speed limiter and the E85 elimination you mentioned.

While all this seems "neat" I haven't heard what HP or ET gains I'd get for a stock PPV. Is it something I should be running out and doing as a priority mod? I don't have plans to do much mechanically with the drivetrain.
Correct, the tune was a G8 GT file. I kept E85, as it is the fuel that I use most often, and it is otherwise identical. I could upload the file for other to use, but the builder of the G8 GT tune spent a fair amount of time on a dyno with a G8, and I would not feel comfortable posting it under my own name.

Im not sure I understand your next question. There are layers and layers of menus to go through to fine exactly what you are looking to change. I would recommend watching a few "how to" videos on youtube just to get an idea of how the maps and parameters are set up. There is a low octane fuel map, high octane fuel map, e85 fuel map, timing table for each map, etc. The engine tuning is the "easy" side of it, in my opinion. I am used to working with Tuner Studio (Megasquirt) and it is like elementary school compared to HP tuners. From what I have seen, there are ways of "tuning on the fly," but I have not attempted this. I only wanted a few small changes, as well as the ability to modify my tune should I add any performance upgrades without shelling out too much money for each tune. I would say that it depends on your goals. I know that a local dyno session here would have probably netted me more power, especially on the e85 table, but it would have cost as much as buying the HP tuners, if not more. Now, if I ever do my planned DOD delete/cam swap, it will only cost me dyno time, which will be less than paying for the "credits" to use the HP tuners cable that the shop would have.

As far as what can be changed, I can't seem to find a limit. GM implanted the ability for the stock ECU/TCU to take advantage of a LOT of things. i.e. E85, supercharger/tubocharger, different levels of traction control, knock retard, rev limiter, rear end ratio, tire diameter, A/C control, electric fans, etc. The list goes on and on. None of these, in my experience, are as easy as they seem. I honestly don't fully understand a lot of what Im doing, just a lot of trial, and hoping for not a lot of error. I've been making small changes, then data-logging for a while to make sure I don't have any issues. For E85, for example, I have my timing table at +4* of timing off the 93 octane map. This table is a full size table, so one can easily set different timing changes dependent on RPM and load, but I just have a flat 4*. Again, this is leaving power on the table, but I don't want to spend money on a dyno until I have a major change, i.e. cam swap, etc. I have left this map at +4* for roughly two weeksnow dataloggins when its hot, cold, sunny, raining, or any other situation that I may see. As of yet, no seriouos knocking under load (WOT) so I may step the entire map up to 5*. I have seen people have luck as much as 6-8* additional timing over a 93 octane map, but I can't afford to let this engine pop, so I go slowly.

I havent seen any HP/ET gains on a PPV, but the tune that I am using showed 336rwhp on a G8 GT which I believe was 293 in stock form. I will have to make time to go back out to the 1/4, as in stock form the car did a best of 13.928 @ 101mph. I wouldnt be surprised if it ran a 13.7xx @ ~103. The trans tune probably "unlocks" themost power, as it REALLY hauls from a stop, as compared to stock. Even with traction control off, it had trouble spinning on old snow tires. Now, with "ultra high performance summer" tires in stock size it will spin well into first gear, and chirp 1-2 and 2-3. I think that it's not so much a matter of "more power" but power that is "better applied," so to speak.

I hope my ramblings weren't too out of order. For the record, I am in NO way an expert of any kind, only my opinions and observations.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

I dont know if this is braking the rules but i found this pretty help full when playing with mine a little. lots of really good info in this thread
http://www.g8board.com/forums/24-pcm-tu ... asics.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)