New Caprice, doesn't start. Need help!

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
B4CTROOPER

New Caprice, doesn't start. Need help!

Post by B4CTROOPER »

Hello everyone. Just bought a 2011 Caprice 6.0. It was auctioned as engine noise so I took a chance and picked it up. Not a big deal right?

Anyway, I get the car, and it doesn't start. It refuses to even crank! No click or anything. No signal goes to the crank relay when turning the key to start. I can bypass the relay, and the engine does turn over. If I do this with the ignition on, the car will still not start. If I leave the key on, I get 3 messages: brake, abs, and stabilitrack. I also do not get a security light/warning.

I went to plug in my obd2 scanner, and that's when it got real weird. No port under the dash. After removing the trim panel under the column, I noticed part of the harness cut out, and no port to be found. Judging by the wire colors (a bunch of browns, a green and some others), these are not for the obd2 port.

Here is an overall of the area

As we get closer, you get an idea of where the cut was made, right next to the ground wires:

And here you see the wires that were cut. I pulled the insulation back a little:

Here is where the obd2 port should be:

Looking up under the dash, above the location where the port should be, it is pretty open there. I can't find anything as far as wiring where the obd2 port should be, or if there was anything that should have been in that open area someone may have removed:

Now, anyone have any ideas how the obd2 plug harness is wired? Maybe I can find it if I know how it's routed through the car.

Any ideas on what that cut harness went to? The colors don't seem correct for and obd2 port.

Is there anything that may have been removed from under the dash in that location? I was able to see 2 threaded bolt holes up in the dash off to the side, maybe something up there was removed and they cut the harness to it?

Any help is appreciated! I want to drive this thing already!
TROOPER DAN
1993 9C1 Big Block, home built, only weighs 4550lbs, 710hp on pump gas
1987 Jeep Wrangler 460 Big Block, former street racer remembered as the "Mangler"
2014 Pathfinder Family car/worst purchase of my life, slower than an old lady with a walker
1997 Cavalier wife's ride she refuses to part with
2004.5 Silverado Duramax my tow vehicle
2003 Dodge Dakota LQ4 conversion underway
2011 9C1 6.0L cookie cutter white patrol car. Waiting on a black one to replace it and mod away
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: New Caprice, doesn't start. Need help!

Post by smwalker »

A cut DLC would not make the vehicle not start but those exposed wires around all that metal might have blown an important fuse.

Think you can get a DLC pigtail here:
https://www.amazon.com/OBDII-Wiring-Har ... B0141UPYDC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
B4CTROOPER

Post by B4CTROOPER »

Ah, I guess they changed the colors on the wires compared to other GM cars. Thanks. I'll put a connector in and hopefully find out something.
TROOPER DAN
1987 Jeep Wrangler 460 Big Block, former street racer remembered as the "Mangler"
2014 Pathfinder Family car/worst purchase of my life, slower than an old lady with a walker
2011 9C1 6.0L cookie cutter white patrol car. Waiting on a black one to replace it and mod away
Pursuit
Administration Staff

Post by Pursuit »

Welcome to the group! Not offering any help, but, the B4C, did you happen to drive a Camaro for work? I owned a 98 B4C for several years.

Regards,

Maurice
Maurice Sheil

mhsheil@gmail.com

2011 Caprice Phantom Black 9C3
2012 Impala 9C1
1995 9C1 Caprice
1996 GMC Sierra C1500
1996 Chevrolet K2500 Extended Cab, long box, 454, 91,000 rust free miles
1974 SJ Grand Prix 455 well optioned with factory moon roof
B4CTROOPER

Post by B4CTROOPER »

Pursuit wrote:Welcome to the group! Not offering any help, but, the B4C, did you happen to drive a Camaro for work? I owned a 98 B4C for several years.

Sure did. I drove a 97 LT1 car at work for a few years. I was one of the few allowed to drive it. They surplussed it in 2004, so there was only P71s to replace it. Those were the fun years. Now I drive a Charger. I would have opted for a Caprice, but I had more space in the Charger with my equipment and uniform on (I'm 6'4" so it gets tight in a car at work). I also found you can shut the stability control off completely in my Charger when I got it, but I couldn't in the Caprice. :o
TROOPER DAN
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

More space in the Charger???? I don't see how that is possible. At least not in the back seat or the trunk. These Caprices are HUGE !. As for the Stabiltrack, You can push and hold the button down for 6 seconds and its off.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
B4CTROOPER

Post by B4CTROOPER »

mercialogo wrote:More space in the Charger???? I don't see how that is possible. At least not in the back seat or the trunk. These Caprices are HUGE !. As for the Stabiltrack, You can push and hold the button down for 6 seconds and its off.
There was more space for me in the drivers seat. The rear seat in the Caprice has plenty of room. The work car we had was a 2011. I tried holding down the button, but it never fully shut off. I pulled out of several u turns, and it kicked on. Not that I pulled out with my foot to the floor trying to drift sideways or anything like that :mrgreen:
TROOPER DAN
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Maybe there's a cage in the 9C1, limiting seat movement? We still have a 92 B4C. It is an awesome and fun car to drive. Stupid-fast, considering how little HP it has.

Indeed, welcome!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
B4CTROOPER

Post by B4CTROOPER »

Tested all the fuses today (I have an obd2 port on order), and they seemed good. I tried to start it again, and now the key will not turn back all the way. WTF? It tried moving the shifter and turning it back, tried firmly setting it into park, and still no good. I did notice something weird through. With the ignition on, no matter what I put the shifter in, the cluster displays P for park. Maybe there's a neutral safety switch issue? Any thoughts on either issue? Maybe they are related?
TROOPER DAN
B4CTROOPER

Post by B4CTROOPER »

CrashTestDummy wrote:Maybe there's a cage in the 9C1, limiting seat movement? We still have a 92 B4C. It is an awesome and fun car to drive. Stupid-fast, considering how little HP it has.

Indeed, welcome!
Wow, a 3rd Gen B4C. I haven't seen one in ages. They still had one at the track when I was certified to drive the Camaro in 2002. They didn't have us drive it, but the head instructor did. That was the last time I saw one.

The Caprice we had didn't have a cage in it. I had a little more width in the Charger. Maybe it was because of the police console we had in the Caprice. The Caprice definitely had more guts off the line though.
TROOPER DAN