AFM camshaft

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
rmauto1

AFM camshaft

Post by rmauto1 »

So I just got my first new caprice. Has anyone disabled the afm, but kept the cam? My car had a new cam and lifters installed under warranty less than 10,000 miles ago. What I'm wanting to do is keep the afm cam, but just put all non afm lifters and pushrods in it, along with plugging the oil passages in the block, and the non afm valley pan. Has anyone tried this? It seem like a lot of extra cash to swap the whole cam if I don't need to do it. I'm just trying to make a really reliable driver.
Raunchtastic

Re: AFM camshaft

Post by Raunchtastic »

From what I understand, and I may be wrong, the heads need to come off to perform the AFM delete. At that point, buying a replacement camshaft isnt all that much more. Buy a take-out LS3 cam or a new LS9 cam is only ~$150 and still give you OEM parts. I disabled AFM but still have the original hardware, for now.
-----------------------------------------------------------
2012 Chevrolet Caprice "The Daily"
1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS 25th anniversary "The Wannabe Racecar"
rmauto1

Post by rmauto1 »

My intention is to have it shut off for the time being too, along with the sgt speed limiter. I suppose that you're right about the extra cost. Not really that much extra. I had intended on pulling the engine for the swap anyway. I wanted to tap the extra oil galleys for pipe plugs. I figured it would give me a good chance to really detail the engine and engine compartment at the same time.
S13REMI

Post by S13REMI »

just get it all shut off and leave it in there for now till your ready to do the cam. thats what i did, and from I understand its what most do
2012 CAPRICE 460WHP! NIGHT FURY CAM, LONG TUBES, OTR INTAKE, NEW ERA TUNE, COILOVERS, C6 Z06 WHEELS. (BIGGEST EVER ON A CAPRICE)
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

rmauto1 wrote:....What I'm wanting to do is keep the afm cam, but just put all non afm lifters and pushrods in it, along with plugging the oil passages in the block, and the non afm valley pan.
There's no need to plug the oil passages....just use valley cover 12598832--it does the job for you and it's cheap!

http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oe-gm/12598832" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Includes new bolts and complete gasket setup to seal/block the AFM oil passages.
rmauto1

Post by rmauto1 »

Is it more leak prone?
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Not sure how to answer--there are at least 3 different valley covers for GenIV - what is on L77, with DoD plumbing, the LS3 cover, and the one I mentioned. All of them seal the oil passages the same way. I'm not aware of any issues with using the cover as opposed to plugging the passages. When you say "leak prone", you're not referring to external (outside the engine), I assume--more that oil might get past the cover's sealing system, internally, which (I think) could cause an oil pressure issue.

There are quite a few GenIV LS engines out there--if leakage is an issue, I think we would have heard about it. There was an earlier thread here where the OP did plug the passages, but I really never understood why, as opposed to using an OE part to do it's job, unless he had been told to do it that way from one of his sources--recall he indicated he had a hook-up with Katech, so it may have been a build recommendation to plug them.

This thread: (posts by IDLifeCaprice)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=803&start=20#p7721" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (pg 3)

project photos can be found on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/SecondServiceV ... =1&theater" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;