To delete or not to delete. That is the question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
mercialogo

To delete or not to delete. That is the question

Post by mercialogo »

Ok. I have read many threads about AFM or DOD. I am more confused now then when I started. my car only has 9000 miles now, and I am wondering if its a good idea to turn off AFM with a tuner without doing the full AFM delete ( i.e. cam\lifter swap ) I am just about done working on the exterior ( or at least for now ) and I am wanting the car to sound better. I keep reading about the Drone and craptastic sound in 4 cyl mode. So is it safe to turn off AFM without doing the full delete???????
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
leadfart

Re: To delete or not to delete. That is the question

Post by leadfart »

Yes!! The sooner the better. I am still running the AFM lifters, going on 10k, since doing the blower. Turn if off! 8-) No lifter tick either. :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

From what I've read if you drive hard it is worthless. If you plan to mod the car it either should or has to go.
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

Well sounds like you are in same position as i am, i have a car i got with 11k miles, no police service, motor seems to be in great shape and i have done 2 oil changes since both at 3k miles/6 months despite the oil life percent still remaining very high at the time of change. I had my car tuned but left the DOD in place as i do see it come on frequently when i drive on highways at 60-80mph speeds which i do about 50% of my driving like and its clearly giving me a slight MPG benefit. You can definitely have it just electronically turned off by tuning however and leave all hardware in place, I'm not sure there is any big benefit to prevention of a lifter failure by doing that it may just be that you have installed a different exhaust and do not want to hear the drone noise. If you still have factory powertrain warranty thats probably the thing to do since it could be easily reversed for any warranty work. That said I'm considering doing a cam swap when mine is over with and I may just use a LS3 OEM cam which can actually work with the DOD lifters and different springs which eliminates the need to pull the heads off etc.

There is the Solo company version of mufflers which have a J pipe that is used to tune the exhaust note with the DOD still active. Many people with GM and Dodge products seem to be using them on brand new cars with no problems.
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

xcidmigs wrote:There is the Solo company version of mufflers which have a J pipe that is used to tune the exhaust note with the DOD still active. Many people with GM and Dodge products seem to be using them on brand new cars with no problems.
I'm leaving the DOD as is and my axle-backs are due to arrive on Tuesday. If you want I can update you on the drone issue. I'm told there isn't one!
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

Yeah, kill it.
Attachments
Screenshot_2016-01-12-18-01-32.png
Screenshot_2016-01-12-18-01-32.png (622.27 KiB) Viewed 18030 times
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CraigslistHero

Post by CraigslistHero »

I did the DOD delete and cam swap a few weekends ago. MPG suffered until I got it tuned, now its back in the 19-21mpg highway range. Oh and the power you can get out of a cam swap is nice. :twisted:
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

CraigslistHero wrote:I did the DOD delete and cam swap a few weekends ago. MPG suffered until I got it tuned, now its back in the 19-21mpg highway range. Oh and the power you can get out of a cam swap is nice. :twisted:
Can you fill me in on the cam you went with and the total cost? Currently I'm not interested in doing it, but you getting a decent mpg has me thinking about it.

It does make me wonder if a tune, while keeping the DOD, would improve the mpg on the car. I honestly can't figure how my heavier, aerodynamic brick Yukon gets only slightly worse fuel mileage.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Maybe the TB and MAF need cleaning? Our Tahoe took a MPG dump a few months back. Went from ~17-18 to mid 12's. It ran fine, just the mileage sucked. I cleaned the TB and MAF, and immediately got back 1 solid MPG. Can't figure out where the other MPG went, maybe the crap winter fuel blend?
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I have had custom tune with Dod still in effect for 6 months, i don't think i see any better or worse MPG and I drove it stock for about 6 months. I really can't drive the car slow is probably the big issue, and i do only 20% highway driving right now. my average MPG just hovers in the mid teens no matter what i do and the price of gas now i just dont care.