To delete or not to delete. That is the question

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CraigslistHero

Re: To delete or not to delete. That is the question

Post by CraigslistHero »

yargnits wrote:
CraigslistHero wrote:I did the DOD delete and cam swap a few weekends ago. MPG suffered until I got it tuned, now its back in the 19-21mpg highway range. Oh and the power you can get out of a cam swap is nice. :twisted:
Can you fill me in on the cam you went with and the total cost? Currently I'm not interested in doing it, but you getting a decent mpg has me thinking about it.

It does make me wonder if a tune, while keeping the DOD, would improve the mpg on the car. I honestly can't figure how my heavier, aerodynamic brick Yukon gets only slightly worse fuel mileage.
Stock LS3 cam, LS9 springs, and ported the heads. I didnt want a higher stall and I was looking for the longest life possible. After talking to Rick Crawford this is what we decided on. Total cost on the parts was around $1250ish, plus $599 for a tune. I was able to get most of the stuff from AC Delco at cost thru my dad. I went ahead and replaced the harmonic balancer while I was at it.
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Hey Dave, you get that Solo Axelback put in yet?. Hows the Drone, and sound?
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
yargnits

Post by yargnits »

mercialogo wrote:Hey Dave, you get that Solo Axelback put in yet?. Hows the Drone, and sound?
Yes, installed on Tuesday. The fit isn't perfect but livable. I'm going to drive the car to Canada in a month and will stop by their Mississauga shop to have it lined up better. I posted a pic in the wheels section last night and the tips are obvious. http://newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1183" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The sound is good, I like it. The sound in 4 cyl mode is different, not annoying. It's like a mild jake-brake sound. Like others here I've noticed our cars are noisy inside and I think putting some sound dynamat behind the back seat is in order. I am going to stick with the DOD. I don't see the point in spending cash on something that doesn't bother me and saves me a little gas money.

Overall, I"d say get the axle-backs. Makes it sound more like a muscle car than a sewing machine.
Dave B - Yargnits
--
2011 Caprice 9C3
2018 Silverado LT
2005 John Deere (garden tractor)
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

Cool, and thank Dave. I will order my set tomorrow. Oh and thats a sweet ride you have there.
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV