Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning options

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CraigslistHero

Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning options

Post by CraigslistHero »

I completed my DOD delete and swapped out the cam for a mild LS3 cam. All of the local options I have for tuning want $599 for a 2 hour dyno session. I didnt exactly build a balls out car, just a solid daily driver and I cant seem to justify the cost of a dyno tune. My biggest issue so far is the AFM programming. I have the old solenoids connected so the car doesnt go into limp mode but thats clearly temporary. I'm thinking of going with a Diablo tuner since I can mildly tweak things or just use a canned tune. Any recommendations for tuners with good all around canned tunes?
CrashTestDummy

Re: Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning optio

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Check with these guys:

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They did some nice work with our Tahoe PPV.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
leadfart

Post by leadfart »

I know of several guys that do e-mail tunes, I'm trying a new one, as I speak. But, you will need HPTuners software, to tune with them, and it ain't cheap! :lol:
Bob Dannelley
2011 Alto Gray 9C3 Caprice PPV-Maggie-11.64@119.68-Sold!
1995 DCM Impala SS-409-Stroker!-11.83@115
2014 Silver Ice LTZ Silverado Crewcab 4X4
2007 Black Z51 M6-Corvette Coupe
eagle-co94

Post by eagle-co94 »

CHenry comes highly recommended in the G8 community.
http://chenrymotorsports.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-James . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . "Life without knowledge is death in disguise."
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I am currently using these service for my tuning... its not quite a emailed can tune however because of the hardware on our cars you have to purchase a plug in device from them which allows you to log the car pcm and tcm information as you drive, then you send the files with that info to blackbear via email and they look at everything make some adjustments and send you back a modified file that you use the plug in device to upload into the cars 2 computers. Then you do the logging again. in my case i only had a cold air intake installed and i went through about 6 rounds of the tuning/logging with them to develop a good driving safe tune, along the way they also discussed various octane fuels with me and i logged what the car was doing with both 87 and 92 octane local gas. I now have my stock tune files saved as well as tunes for both octanes all on the device which i can plug into the dash any time and reflash in about 2 minutes. The total cost is the same as you listed for the 2 hour dyno session plus it comes with lifetime update as i make any other mods they will adjust my tunes for no added cost. And i can use the same device on similiar GM setups if i change cars by purchasing another vin# license from them for $300. This has been my best tuning experience ever and I've tried plenty.

http://www.blackbearperformance.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS are you using a factory LS3 camshaft you mean? and if so why did you delete DOD? its allegedly works with that cam according to G8 owners?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Yeah, BlackBear uses EFI Live. So if you already have one, you're half-way there. But Chris Henry is also really good.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CraigslistHero

Post by CraigslistHero »

xcidmigs wrote:I am currently using these service for my tuning... its not quite a emailed can tune however because of the hardware on our cars you have to purchase a plug in device from them which allows you to log the car pcm and tcm information as you drive, then you send the files with that info to blackbear via email and they look at everything make some adjustments and send you back a modified file that you use the plug in device to upload into the cars 2 computers. Then you do the logging again. in my case i only had a cold air intake installed and i went through about 6 rounds of the tuning/logging with them to develop a good driving safe tune, along the way they also discussed various octane fuels with me and i logged what the car was doing with both 87 and 92 octane local gas. I now have my stock tune files saved as well as tunes for both octanes all on the device which i can plug into the dash any time and reflash in about 2 minutes. The total cost is the same as you listed for the 2 hour dyno session plus it comes with lifetime update as i make any other mods they will adjust my tunes for no added cost. And i can use the same device on similiar GM setups if i change cars by purchasing another vin# license from them for $300. This has been my best tuning experience ever and I've tried plenty.

PS are you using a factory LS3 camshaft you mean? and if so why did you delete DOD? its allegedly works with that cam according to G8 owners?
The stock ls3 cam will not work with DOD lifters.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

http://www.g8board.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55156" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

you need to read some more, its not very common most people being afraid of the DOD lifters but its technically possible to use a stock LS3 or other higher lift cam in a PPV or G8 6.0 motor. That said I'm not interested in a big debate about it I just had asked if you were using a stock LS3 cam or something else. Is this motor running now or you are waiting on the tune portion?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I'd dump those POS AFM lifters no matter the cam. When they decide to self-destruct (and they WILL), you'll be lucky if they only take the cam with it.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

lot of opinion there not much facts to back it up with. WHile there are plenty of DOD lifter failure horror stories, clearly there is tons of GM vehicles running around with the stock DOD lifters that have not failed that you aren't hearing about. But to each there own, I'm just putting the info out there for anyone like me that may have a low miles or new car and wants to know what they can do without the major work of dod delete which involves cylinder head removal etc, on a car with powertrain warranty still you might now want to do that, however a cam swap only on LS motor is just a water pump removal job and the $125 stock GM cams out there make that concept pretty tempting to me at least.