Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning options

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
CrashTestDummy

Re: Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning optio

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Indeed. I've heard of issues with the 'upgraded' LS7 lifters that people use when getting rid of the DOD stuff, so you probably can't win. :lol:

I've gone back and forth on the subject personally myself several times. Our Caprice has already had a cam/lifter replacement but our Tahoe hasn't, that I can tell. While we didn't do the AFM delete when we got the Tahoe tuned, I'm tempted to do it to the Caprice. Some of that, though is because I plan to replace the exhaust system, and think I'll be enjoying the dreaded drone if I don't. We'll see.

I think the problem with the DOD parts is when the vehicle actually goes into DOD, and not really the parts themselves. That's why I'm tempted to disable DOD on the Caprice. I think the parts are fine, there's just extra stress on things when in 4-cyl mode.

But then again, should a lifter take itself apart, I'd probably start looking for a take-out LS9. C'mon, give me a reason!!! :mrgreen:
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CraigslistHero

Re: Just finished DOD delete and cam swap, need tuning optio

Post by CraigslistHero »

Mine had a serious tick which is half of the reason I got it so cheap. Like most G8 owners I opted to delete the DOD and swap cams as soon as I could. I ended up finding a local tuner who was also a gun nut and did some trading for a dyno tune. All I can say is that performance is night and day.