Dyno sheet

Tech discussions on the L77 6.0L V8.
JUNKYARD_JACK

Re: Dyno sheet

Post by JUNKYARD_JACK »

I'm curious what the milled heads did as far as power, I had not planned on doing anything to my cylinder heads but I like the results here.
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

JUNKYARD_JACK wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:38 pm I'm curious what the milled heads did as far as power, I had not planned on doing anything to my cylinder heads but I like the results here.
Milling the heads will raise compression just a bit and also smooth out the surface. One thing you should for sure do is get LS3 hollow valves. If you keep stock valves your tuner will not raise the RPM's over 6500, due to possible valves floating. So get the hollow valves. I wish I put in the valves because I would have had about 410 to the wheel
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Ridgeppv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 pm One thing you should for sure do is get LS3 hollow valves. If you keep stock valves your tuner will not raise the RPM's over 6500, due to possible valves floating. So get the hollow valves. I wish I put in the valves because I would have had about 410 to the wheel
My impression is that the LS3 exhaust valves are sodium filled (and therefor hollow). I think the LS3 intake valves are not hollow?!

To get high RPM, light valve train (valves, push rods, rockers.. and the further from the cam, the more effective..) and improved (lighter/tighter) springs are nice.

What if one were to have a 4 inch stroke? I hear high-ish RPM is still okay at 4 inches?! ..good rods and crank make it okay?

Just thinking out loud :roll:
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

GammaFlat wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:08 pm
Ridgeppv wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:04 pm One thing you should for sure do is get LS3 hollow valves. If you keep stock valves your tuner will not raise the RPM's over 6500, due to possible valves floating. So get the hollow valves. I wish I put in the valves because I would have had about 410 to the wheel
My impression is that the LS3 exhaust valves are sodium filled (and therefor hollow). I think the LS3 intake valves are not hollow?!

To get high RPM, light valve train (valves, push rods, rockers.. and the further from the cam, the more effective..) and improved (lighter/tighter) springs are nice.

What if one were to have a 4 inch stroke? I hear high-ish RPM is still okay at 4 inches?! ..good rods and crank make it okay?

At that point you might as well bore it too. Talking a lot more money at that point. More than I want to spend rn.
2014 6.0L BTR Stage 2 Cam, DOD Delete, 3.45 diff, long tube headers, VCM OTR Intake
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

We have the same exhaust valves as the LS3 heads. However I am upgrading mine to Manley 11661-8 since mine were pretty pitted at 200k and I plan on going LSA in 5 years.

We have the heavier intake valves which we can upgrade to the GM LS3 12569427 lightweight hollow valves.

BTR recommends shifting at 6,600 - 6,800 RPM for the N/A Stage 2 cam. I am installing BTR springs and titanium retainers as well. I think my build is going to be about identical to yours.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

bstoner wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:57 am

We have the same exhaust valves as the LS3 heads. However I am upgrading mine to Manley 11661-8 since mine were pretty pitted at 200k and I plan on going LSA in 5 years.

We have the heavier intake valves which we can upgrade to the GM LS3 12569427 lightweight hollow valves.

BTR recommends shifting at 6,600 - 6,800 RPM for the N/A Stage 2 cam. I am installing BTR springs and titanium retainers as well. I think my build is going to be about identical to yours.
Wow we pretty much have the same build. Are you getting your head ported? Love the 3.45 a lot!
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

Ridgeppv wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:07 pm Wow we pretty much have the same build. Are you getting your head ported? Love the 3.45 a lot!
I didn't originally plan on doing head work but after I pulled the heads I found the exhaust valves were pretty pitted. From my research heads aren't much of a limiting factor for our mild builds. I stripped the heads and sent them to Lloyd Elliott for a valve job and porting. I am only going to have the deck milled to flat. I don't want to increase my compression ratio because I am going LSA in a few years. Once I get the heads back I am putting in new valves, seals, springs, retainers, pushrods, CHE trunnions, etc.
2014 Caprice PPV, 6.0L, BTR Stage 2 Cam, 3.45, 3" exhaust, Rotofab intake, Chris Henry tuned, future LSA....
bstoner

Post by bstoner »

So I went and weighed my valves today....
Used L77 Intake- 111.1g
Used L77 Exhaust- 90.5g
New LS3 Intake- 88.8g
New Manley 11661 Exhaust- 91.1g
Ridgeppv

Post by Ridgeppv »

I'm going to try and go LSA next depending on the pricing. Also with the cam I have might be a good idea for a torque convertor. Pushes just a little when stopped.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

bstoner wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:15 pm So I went and weighed my valves today....
Used L77 Intake- 111.1g
Used L77 Exhaust- 90.5g
New LS3 Intake- 88.8g
New Manley 11661 Exhaust- 91.1g
Thanks for the valve weights. The LS7 is the one with sodium filled exhaust valves. I'll go stand in the corner now. According to "OnAllCylinders.com", the sodium filled LS7 exhaust valves are 74g. Unfortunately, they're 1.610 in diameter. LS7 intake valves are 77g but again, too big for us: 2.205. Our intake and exhaust are: 2.165 and 1.590 (same sizes as LS3).
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio