Hood insulator

This is a forum section to coordinate "group" or mass parts purchases on behalf of our members. Moderated by NavyLifer.
Forum rules
SPECIAL NOTE - Unless the Group Purchase is either directly negotiated or sold by the New Caprice management, we have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Hood insulator

Post by Navy Lifer »

I wanted to put this back on the radar for 2016.

For various reasons, I never "activated" the OE hood insulator project, but I wanted to let everyone know that it STILL is going to happen. Between my own bi-coastal situation in 2015 (which will continue in 2016) and some medical challenges of late, the GP has not been a priority.

With the passage of this much time since the previous proposal (multi-pack purchase via CP) was presented, it will be necessary to get a re-quote on what costs will be. The US<>AUS dollar exchange impacts this, as does any change in shipping rates, which I know we can probably count on to be higher--I don't know that I've ever heard of UPS lowering rates, just as USPS doesn't, but the US dollar has been pretty strong as of late, so I don't know what the final numbers will actually be vs the last quoted to get an insulator to your door.

So, I've asked CP to update the deal so we can start to move some of the "correct" OE hood insulators to the US at the most effective cost possible. I don't know when that information may be available, but it remains that I'm acting as the purchase and re-shipping agent, all with the intention of getting these bulky parts to you for the least cost possible.

I'm still not ready to take anyone's money, and final details will be forthcoming once I've had CP's reply.

The bottom line is that there are quite a few more new members who may want to join this GP.

IF you want your name added to the list (last I knew we were at more than 6, so there would be at least three 3-packs coming), either PM me or respond to this thread--to do both would be better, so that I have a full name, delivery address, phone number and e-mail (via PM).

I can't give anyone an expected delivery date. I can tell you that CP wants to deal with only one person for this project, so all money for the Group Purchase will pass through me, whether by check, M.O. or PayPal.

Stay tuned--it may yet be another month or longer, but it IS not forgotten that this is unfinished business.

Thanks--and Happy New Year!
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

Is the purpose of the insulator for noise control, heat control (reduce cooking of the paint on the hood), or for beauty reasons?

I am going to cut my own into shape and attach with heat-resistant velcro. I have already purchased the material needed... see http://bondedlogic.com/pdf/radiant-barr ... -sheet.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I bought the version that is foil on both sides; therefore foil resting against the hood metal, and foil facing the engine.

The cotton material is the same stuff I remember GM used for dash hush panels and trunk liners in the 1980s.

I hope to do a decent enough job so that it might actually pass as a real insulator (something GM might have issued) instead of a weekend hack job by a novice.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I've made my own insulator for older cars and trucks too. But only when a stock replacement wasn't available. Either way, I think it helps control heat, noise, protects the paint from heat damage, and just adds a stock finished appearance under the hood. However I've always disliked the fact that the foil/cotton insulator material I used (a different version) didn't have such a good fire rating. Very interesting that the one you are using is very well rated. That surprised me. Good to know there are other options.

If a stock one is available with fasteners for the stock mounts, I prefer that route myself rather than making one. I like to tinker on my older cars. But for this car, plug-and-play is just fine. 8-) Good luck with your build.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

Thanks for writing about your past experiences with home-made panels.

I considered the cost of the GM real insulator ($150) plus the shipping ordeal from Aussie. With the sheet of radiant barrier ($40), I figured it was worth a try. If my handywork ends up looking entirely goofy, then the $150 (which now becomes $190) is always still available.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Hood insulator - update

Post by Navy Lifer »

New month....and nothing good to report.

After extended review and discussion with CP, it's by mutual agreement that there will be no shipments of the stock (Holden Caprice) hood insulator as a Group Purchase. Cost to benefit is way out of line. Risk of damage in shipment, whether from Oz to me or from me to end-user, makes it a high-risk venture, enough so that we're officially killing the deal. I'm glad that no money changed hands in advance of this decision.

I do not know whether CP would still entertain shipping single insulators direct to individual buyers--you'll need to ask him. Naturally it will cost more to do this, but it is the only way it will be possible to get this Holden part short of finding it via another source in Australia.

It seems that GM did put the insulator PN (92253504) for Caprice in the GMNA parts book, but after checking with my local dealer, the bottom line is that there are zero assets in NA--whether there ever were is not known, but I suspect the answer is NO. There have been quite a number of Holden-only parts end up listed in the PPV and SS catalogs, but it's as if the catalog fact-checkers didn't/don't always know what they're doing....our loss, in this case.

Sorry to let this ride for so long and then have it come up "dry". Perhaps this will provide an opportunity for someone to come up with an alternate arrangement/NA supplier that can create a hood pad/insulator for the Caprice.
Last edited by Navy Lifer on Tue Feb 02, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no further discussion - GP cancelled