Group Purchase - Fog Light Bezels (Black Out Version)

This is a forum section to coordinate "group" or mass parts purchases on behalf of our members. Moderated by NavyLifer.
Forum rules
SPECIAL NOTE - Unless the Group Purchase is either directly negotiated or sold by the New Caprice management, we have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Group Purchase - Fog Light Bezels (Black Out Version)

Post by smwalker »

You are welcome Bill!

Everyone else has been sent Email instructions now that I have finished the harnesses and the kits are ready to go.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Awesome, thanks, Steve! I'm interested in the harness and switch, too, but may have to wait a bit. The paypal account just took a hit in the form of a 3.27 GXP diff! =8-0
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Steve, the box arrived today. Everything looks in fine shape. I now have to get the lights themselves.

So I'm guessing that the driving lights come on with the parking lights? If that's been mentioned before, I apologize now, because I didn't search yet.

Thanks, again!!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

That's correct Gene, The way I set up the relay wiring is to get power from the front parking light to activate the relay. That is accomplished through the white wire on the relay harness detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could take that white wire to say 12 volt ignition on so they could be on even when the lights are off. But I figured we already have DLR's so there was no need for that. I just guessed from the factory Fogs can only come on with low beams but I like the idea of them being able to come on with parking lights only.

But to you and everyone else if you want to come up with a new place to wire up that white wire (relay activation) let me know I would be glad to provede you with a length of wire with the correct connector for the relay if you need something longer. Don't feel like you need to be limited by my thoughts on the subject.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

any chrome bezels handy ?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

smwalker wrote:That's correct Gene, The way I set up the relay wiring is to get power from the front parking light to activate the relay. That is accomplished through the white wire on the relay harness detailed in this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1681" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You could take that white wire to say 12 volt ignition on so they could be on even when the lights are off. But I figured we already have DLR's so there was no need for that. I just guessed from the factory Fogs can only come on with low beams but I like the idea of them being able to come on with parking lights only.

But to you and everyone else if you want to come up with a new place to wire up that white wire (relay activation) let me know I would be glad to provede you with a length of wire with the correct connector for the relay if you need something longer. Don't feel like you need to be limited by my thoughts on the subject.
Thank you for the confirmation, Steve. I kind of figured that, since the light switch didn't have a separate button for the fogs. I know there are (were?) jurisdictions that limited the number of white lights you could have on the front of the car at one time, so manufacturers would limit the use of driving/fog lights to only come on when the running lights were on, even if those lights had a separate switch. That's the way our Dakota R/T was configured.

I have some surface-mount LEDs to install on the bumper cover, to hide the push bar slots, so I'll be adding a switch for those. I might as well install two switches (well, three, to have the X-Force mufflers covered) while I have the dash apart.

Oh, and I don't have DLRs on our car. ;)
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jb94ss

Post by jb94ss »

IM IN
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

jb94ss wrote:IM IN
Hey JB the Group Purchase is over but if you want some of the black bezels contact Karo at http://www.Holdenpartsusa.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They may not be listed on his site but I know he has some of the black ones.

If you need any help with the bulb harness or relay harness let me know I can make one up for ya

AS for the headlight switch I am currently out as I cleaned out the mrket for them in the USA with the last group purchase. Have to wait for a few more G8's to wreck! Knock on wood.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
ASLEEPR

Post by ASLEEPR »

Steve,

I am assuming the G8 switch works for the 2011-13. Does a Chevy SS switch work for the 2014-15?

thanks,

Pat
Pat

2015 Caprice - Mystic Green. 4/1/17
- carpet, SS dash & console

2014 Tahoe LS - Black. 4/14/14
- Escalade dual exhaust, SLP cai, DRL amber lamps, RD4 wheels, LTZ quad captains, 2nd row fold flat mod
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

ASLEEPR wrote:Steve,

I am assuming the G8 switch works for the 2011-13. Does a Chevy SS switch work for the 2014-15?

thanks,

Pat
Hey Pat,

Yes and no. The switch will swap over no problem. However it sends out a momentary ground whereas the older ones sent a continuous ground. The momentary ground is a signal to the BCM to turn on the fogs. So a wiring to the BCM and a reprogramming (I think) would be in order. Most of us did not do this on the 11-13 because with the switch design we did not have to. There is a relay design called a latched ladder relay array that could serve the purpose of adding fog to the 14+ without having to interface with the BCM the 2000 Impala guys have been using this style. Talk a bit more about it in this thread:

2014+ fog light switch

That being said I have in my possession a SS headlight switch with the fog light provision if anyone would like to try a trip through the BCM to see what works.

In other words this is all uncharted territory. Need to get my grubby mitts on a 14!!
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White