Aussie Lip Spoiler - $270 Delivered!

This is a forum section to coordinate "group" or mass parts purchases on behalf of our members. Moderated by NavyLifer.
Forum rules
SPECIAL NOTE - Unless the Group Purchase is either directly negotiated or sold by the New Caprice management, we have no role or liability in any transactions other then to provide a venue to advertise the items. Disputes must be resolved independently between the parties involved in any transaction.
Pic18

Re: Aussie Lip Spoiler - $270 Delivered!

Post by Pic18 »

Can someone post a picture of the bottom of the spoiler to show how it mounts? My G8 had a bolt on the left and right with a few clips in between. Thanks.
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

I recall that the 2 end mount points are bolted, and the remainder of holes/plastic clips (5?) are to align the spoiler so it "lands" correctly the first time, so the adhesive tape is never pulled up once it makes contact. The plastic covering the adhesive is supposed to be removed once the part is in place but not pulled down tightly by the 2 end stud/nut points.

Whether it was ever a production-installed part (Caprice SS as sold in M.E.) I'm not certain--meaning there was either a jig used at the plant at some point in the body prep process to pierce the alignment holes in the deck, or there was a specific part number for a trunk/boot lid with the holes already in place, which I doubt--the production numbers for that model were likely never large enough to justify that approach.

The instructions with the accessory spoiler from Holden present a challenge since the Chevy Bowtie isn't one of the emblems used to serve as an alignment guide.

The plastic clips, other than a guide, are there to position a foam seal around each guide hole to prevent water intrusion into the lid interior, should moisture get between the part and the deck lid.

Going to a thru-bolted arrangement would call for 5 additional holes in the inner skin of the deck lid, and sealing might be more difficult than the design approach of the part in it's current form. Having a proper flat spot for a fastener to pull against is just one more thing that comes to mind, so as the fasteners are tightened, it would tend to deform the sheetmetal, which is not flat at the current alignment points.

The tape has gaps strategically placed for any moisture to escape and prevent water getting up to the level of the guide holes. I don't know that it would be good to try to completely seal the perimeter of the spoiler, as I suspect it needs to "breathe" a bit between the plastic/metal interface.

There may have been others (excluding the Criswell cars, which used G8 spoilers), but I know the spoiler we installed on my car in June 2013 (with Scott Williams, at his home shop in Texas) was one of the first using the Holden Caprice spoiler, and it's doing fine after 3+ years, all original. Until recently, it was always garaged, so it remains to be seen whether more time outside will change things with the spoiler mounting. Other than the fog lamp parts, the spoiler was one of the things I bought from CP, not long after getting the car in Nov 2012.
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

There are 5 holes that have to be drilled into the trunk lid. The clips are oval so die grind or file to size.
1 center hole takes a nylon insert that the center pin on the spoiler snaps into
The outer holes are for a stud and nut.
The intermediate holes are for nylon clips that attach to the spoiler and then snap into the trunk lid.
The top edge has foam tape.
The instruction book has a template from the center of the trunk lid over to one side. Mark the holes, flip over to mark the other side.
This is from reading the directions.. mine is sitting on the shelf until winter comes around and I take the car off the road
Attachments
DSC03515.JPG
DSC03515.JPG (54.84 KiB) Viewed 18933 times
DSC03512.JPG
DSC03512.JPG (89.44 KiB) Viewed 18933 times
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I'm seriously thinking about replacing those yellow clips with some studs like the outboard attachment method uses. I have to have a look under the deck lid to see if there is _any_ way to get under there. That may be why they use those clips.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
jackleg

Post by jackleg »

The intermediate webs that use the yellow clips look like they are recessed into the spoiler more than the outer webs to make room for the underside of the clip. You'd probably want to use a washer or more foam to make that up or risk deforming something whe tightining down the nuts. That does seem to be a more secure way of mounting the thing instead of using the clips.
2011 9C1 6.0
RCR "Little Lunati" 219/223 .625/.625 112+0
Kooks headers, hi flow cats, Dynomax Super Turbos
Flex fuel tune
bvanbeest

Post by bvanbeest »

Hey Karo, do you have any spoilers left?
Hzgray

Post by Hzgray »

He had some left a couple weeks ago when I bought one.
2013 9C3, DoD delete, BTR Stg 1, Kooks 1 7/8, Rotofab, 3.27 Diff, VMR 810 wheels (staggered), King Springs (lowered), oh and a D1SC.
Kilomph

Post by Kilomph »

Who starts a GB thread like this without lots of pictures? Is this GB shut down?
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

Kilomph wrote:Who starts a GB thread like this without lots of pictures? Is this GB shut down?
karo has them in stock and ready to go , also the holden grills , rear emblems , side repeaters
jb94ss

Post by jb94ss »

U HAVE STILL