New Caprice - Discussion forums

The worldwide owner-to-owner online support system for the Chevrolet Caprice PPV
It is currently Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:09 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Aussie class III hitch?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:34 pm 

Kicking myself for not ordering the hitch from CP earlier; He quoted $570 shipped (everything in the pic) last year and I was going to wait till summer, oh well ~ ~ ~

Anyone else interested?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:19 pm 

Is that a Holden/GM part? Like an authorized accessory? Wondering if any companies in the US that regularly make hitches would do a design for the caprice?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:36 pm 

Probably the best option would be to get them one of the OEM hitches and see if they'll copy it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:42 pm 

eagle-co94 wrote:
Probably the best option would be to get them one of the OEM hitches and see if they'll copy it.
May be doable if we have enough commitments including G8 guys. Any shop with a grinder and decent welding skills probably can make copies but I assume most won't due to liability concerns.

smwalker wrote:
Is that a Holden/GM part? Like an authorized accessory? Wondering if any companies in the US that regularly make hitches would do a design for the caprice?
It's a genuine Holden part. Holmart has it for $399 but the only shipping option is $600+DHL. Just emailed them to see if there's a cheaper alternative or if they can provide shipping weight and dimensions (freight forwarding services?)

More info here,
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=92&start=50

Last edited by l77 on Tue Jun 07, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:53 pm 

I've got one coming but it hasn't hit the west coast yet. I also got hosed by a junkyard that sold me the wrong hitch...the Class II when it was supposed to be the big one.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:54 am 
System Manager

Just some wisdom here.... hitches have been previously researched to death, might want to review a few of the earlier threads as there is BUNCHES of detailed information and an install or two to draw experience from as there were some unforeseen wrinkles in the installs.

Eric

System Manager and your tourguide for the day. Caprice Alumni, former owner of a 2011 Caprice 9C3 with a Rotofab CAI and front radiator cover, 3.45 LSD Camaro rear diff, Chris Henry performance tune, G8 GT 18" Enkei rims w/Holden lions, custom SLP axle-back muffler set with tips, Holden WM Caprice factory spoiler, Holden SSV leather steering wheel and leather shift knob, Whelen Alpha-12Q airhorn amp. G8 GT rear seat swap, AVS Ventshades.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:34 am 

It looks like there's really only 1 hitch thread but it's a fid read. One advantage of having these made would be that the receiver tube could be extended to resolve fitment issues. It could even be made thicker to match the US impact beam thickness.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:40 pm 

I would be interested!

Jim

2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-Stock. For now......

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:52 pm 

Interested. tagging this topic for updates.