How To - Convert Factory Key to Aftermarket Flip Key

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Mooseman

Re: How To - Convert Factory Key to Aftermarket Flip Key

Post by Mooseman »

I just went to a locksmith. $30/key since they are laser cut.

I basically just used the remotes I had in the original keys. Was a good thing since my originals were starting to crack and get worn.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Steve,
Did you ever do a video on disassembly and reassembly of the flip key fob? I'm looking to do this mod now but I need to figure out how the flip key fob comes apart.
Jim Chesnutt
1968 Camaro -my first car.
1995 Black/White 9C1 Caprice
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

camrat68 wrote:Steve,
Did you ever do a video on disassembly and reassembly of the flip key fob? I'm looking to do this mod now but I need to figure out how the flip key fob comes apart.
Not by Me but a 6 part video series here. See if it is clear enough and report back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzm3J6qItEA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Outstanding! That should work.

Thank you.
Jim Chesnutt
2012 Alto Gray Metallic 9C1 Caprice--The HoDag-Solo axle back exhaust, improved racing OTR CAI intake.
2013 Black/White 9C1--NADACOP-DOD Delete with BTR Stage II cam, Kooks Headers, Solo Hi-flow Cats and Header Back Mach Balanced kit, WestBendDyno tuned.
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

One done, three to go. :D
Jim Chesnutt
Dut_The_SS_nuT

Post by Dut_The_SS_nuT »

Decided to go ahead and get mine cut. I had an '11 that my wife totaled, and I kept 5 of the 6 keys. So... I gutted them, just like the instructions here. I didn't want to sacrifice a good working key, as this one only came with 3 keys. I only screwed up 1 chip, and had to tear up another key to get one out. :lol: I had already programmed the remotes so.. BOOM easy swap. Chips read fine, followed the instructions in the service manual for programming them to the car. Total spent including cutting and all was 42.00 a key... Totally worth it..
Attachments
0214181808a_resized.jpg
0214181808a_resized.jpg (258.32 KiB) Viewed 21098 times
2007 Impala SS, K&N CAI, Flowmasters, Resonator Delete, Diablo Trinity tune
2011 Caprice 9C1 (rest in pieces)
2013 Caprice 9C1, "9C3 console upgrade" Modified Camaro Exhaust, Kayhan VE Series 2 Radio. (Soon to have 4 piston Brembos)
2013 9C1 Bone Stock
1956 Chevy 150 1211B trim code “Business Man Sedan" (currently gutting)
camrat68

Post by camrat68 »

Update on my little adventure in flip key conversion.

The first two I did worked out fine. I was able to order the 2 for $40 deal but then they went to terminal backorder and I had to order from another manufacturer. I put the third key together just like the first two but the third key triggers the immobilizer warning and won't start the car. I learned the new key using a good key, put the new key in and it starts the car. I thought it was OK to use but it won't start the car again and I'm trying to figure out what I did wrong.

I pulled the transponder from a working key to use in the flip key. Did I fry the transponder chip trying to re-learn it?

Jim
Jim Chesnutt
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Thanks to Steve and others for their input! Three things to straighten out:
  • old blade re-use or cut new one
  • immobilizer sync
  • remote (lock, unlock, trunk, remote start)
I ordered this key on ebay for my '13 9C3: https://www.ebay.com/vod/FetchOrderDeta ... noapp=true

Now I have a "switchblade" or flip key working!

I removed roll pin and used my old blade. I was not excited about paying 30 or more to cut a new key.
I wrecked the immobilizer chip trying to remove it (crap! - but happy ending).
Thankfully, the immobilizer that came with the new key worked fine (after procedure).

Thanks!

To get new immobilizer working:
  • put in a good key and start the car.
  • remove the good key and within 15 seconds, put in new key with new immobilizer and start the car.
  • Watch for immobilizer warning on dic. If no warning, I believe you're good to go.
To get remote key fob working (my new one has remote start button!)
  • gather all remotes you want to work (a must)
  • navigate to menu for programming remotes "Remote Key"
  • Read instructions if you want or hit "Program"
  • press and hold Lock and Unlock simultaneously until double beep confirmation
  • do next key (until all key fobs are set)
To transplant the immobilizer:
Depending on the old fob you're taking apart, it is probably better to just use the new immobilizer (and program it of course) instead of trying to transplant the old one. I wrecked one knowing exactly where it was. It is molded in nicely. Maybe there are seams that are some how breakable that I couldn't take apart.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Can't see your ebay link. Think that is your order data link not the auction link.

And yea the grinding out of the chip is a delicate process . Surprised myself when I got it the first time.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Steve,
Here's the link that I intended: https://www.ebay.com/itm/152530753300 for the key that worked (I paid a lot more than the current 26.91 price). It works but I'm not sure if I'd recommend it if you need 2 keys.
There is a "2 key" purchase that I "think" will work that is (or was) 50 bucks on ebay. I cannot be certain that the "2 key" deal would work but if I had to do it over... more details: I had an exchange with the seller who insisted that the keys would NOT work on my 2013 Caprice after I explained that their listed part number in their listing (92237316) was what I needed. I think they did not see it on their compatibility list and did not want to indicate in any way that it would work.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio