Power Lock Isssue: Seeking Corroboration

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
SBRMD

Power Lock Isssue: Seeking Corroboration

Post by SBRMD »

Hi Guys,

I have a circumstance/condition on my car (seeming to accumulate a few already..) that I would like to know if any of you share.

When you lock the car, with all four doors closed, using the central console-mounted lock switch, all four doors lock as they should. When you lock the car from outside, all four doors closed, with the remote, same: all doors lock as expected. But when you try to lock the car with the console switch while the driver's door is open, which is how I've locked prior cars on my way out, the driver's door does not lock. This occurs regardless of the location of the ignition key. Obviously, one could theorize that it's a design feature, to keep one from locking one's keys in the car, but such is not mentioned in the owner's manual. My Toyota Sequoia does a similar thing, but only when the key is in the ignition; and Toyota talks about it in their manual.

When I bought this up to the service dept., they said that the driver's door power lock actuator was at fault, and replaced it. When the problem didn't go away, they said they had no idea what was going on. When I brought the car back for this and other problems, they finally said that GM tech line says: "normal condition", ie it must be a design feature, without actually saying that. When I pointed out that if so, replacing the actuator was therefore unnecessary, they said "quite possibly". Yet another unsatisfying experience: don't definitively know what should be, and got an unnecessary repair in the process.

What do all your cars do? Is this a designed-in feature?

Thanks in advance guys,
Steve in Mpls.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
'11 PPV 9C3 Phantom Black Metallic
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Power Lock Isssue: Seeking Corroboration

Post by Navy Lifer »

Owner's manual has a procedure for door lock programming.

Take a look here, too:
http://www.newcaprice.com/files/2011-Ch ... Manual.pdf

Page 11 (shows the instrument cluster) - different door lock programming options are listed

I suggest you try re-programming your door locks following the procedures outlined in these references to see if it changes/affects or corrects your current condition/complaint.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the advice. The "problem" occurs regardless of lock programming mode.

What does your car do? I just would like to know if this is normal; if it is, fine. You'd think a dealer would be able to answer a question like this.

Best regards,
Steve.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

I went out and checked my car. When I push the lock button on my center console all doors, including the driver's door lock, wither open or closed.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens
AACoPD05

Post by AACoPD05 »

Same here, if I have the drivers door open and press the lock switch it locks all 4 doors. My difference is my lock switch is on the door and not the center console.
Paul
2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
2004 Ford Crown Victoria LX Sport
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Thanks guys, suspected as much. Interested to see what others say too.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Post by Navy Lifer »

Steve, my car door lock system behaves as others have described--and I'm still running "default" settings.

I did spend some time at my local dealer yesterday, picking information out of parts & service--the online information is overwhelming.

I probably should not post this info, so I'll scan and e-mail it (to you) some time later today.

It may not be helpful, but you can learn a bit about how information is "seeded" into the online data system. It could be as simple as a dealer with a technician team that isn't up to speed on this stuff--still, I really doubt that there's anything unique about PPV that explains what you are experiencing.

Eric & I have been talking about a way to get something going with an insider in the PPV program as a liaison for any number of reasons--whether your situation rises to that level I can't say. No results in this effort yet, that I'm aware of.
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

I finally got around to checking my car tonight (also a 2011 9C3) and all 4 doors lock and unlock even if the door is open.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
SBRMD

Post by SBRMD »

Well, interesting epilogue: had the car in again, and the service staff produced a page from the body service manual that stated the "anomaly" my car displays as a safety device designed in to keep the driver from locking himself out of the car. I don't completely understand the rationale, as this is not just when the key is in the ignition, as in other cars, eg Toyota. Also, they couldn't explain why such a thing is not in the owner's manual. The service manager all but discounted all of your anecdotes on this thread about your cars, didn't consider anything on-line to be credible. I explained what a specialized enthusiast community this board is, but he shrugged it off. So, apparently, there is a design variation in our cars that the service staff doesn't know much about.
Steve Robin
Minneapolis, MN
The Tech

Post by The Tech »

SBRMD wrote: So, apparently, there is a design variation in our cars that the service staff doesn't know much about.
Or your dealer just doesn't want to try to fix it.
2011 Alto Gray Caprice PPV 9C3, Kooks Long Tube Headers, Kooks Drag Cats and Crossover, Solo Axle Back System.
1996 DGGM Impala SS
1995 Caprice 9C1 red over white
2015 Bright Yellow Jeep Wrangler, the better half's car.
Member of Carolina Holdens