Transport mode?

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Navy Lifer
Administration Staff

Re: Transport mode?

Post by Navy Lifer »

uhhhh, Gene.....unless you've added one, what hood liner??? :o

As for connecting the battery charger/tender, yes, the way to set it up would be to tie-in to the +/- terminals provided in the engine compartment for jump starting--most "tender" units have a plug that gets affixed to the car in a relatively permanent fashion, and when the tender is hooked up, it's just a matter of connecting the plug from the tender to the under-hood connector, plug the charging unit into the wall, and you're done.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

DOH! Yeah, senior moment.

I 'd just unclip it from the terminals when I went to drive the car. The only cars we have the Cable ends permanently-connected to are the race car, and one of the Cadillacs. But that's because they have top post batteries.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
storm9c1

Post by storm9c1 »

FWIW, I own both BatteryTenders and BatteryMinders. I bought them a few years apart. They both work well and never let me down. But BatteryMinder specs explicitly states a single unit can charge and maintain up to 4 batteries in parallel. And I like the desulfator feature. So I consider it a superior unit. Perfect for dual battery Caprices IMO.

http://www.batteryminders.com/12-volt-m ... h-warranty" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by storm9c1 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom (AKA: Storm)
2011 Caprice 9C3: L77, 8K miles, first-owner, purchased July 2011.
1995 Caprice 9C1: LT1, 178K miles, summer car.
1995 Impala SS: LT1, 21K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 62K miles.
1995 Caprice Wagon: LT1, 128K miles. Rust In Pieces
1994 Caprice 9C1: LT1, beater winter car.
1969 Chevy C30: 383ci stroker, 4L80E, rollback car hauler.
1972 Chrysler Newport: 400ci big block, survivor 27K miles, 2-door hardtop.
1969 Dodge Charger: 383ci big block.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I've been a Battery Tender customer for years. We have several 4-port and a couple of 2- and single-port units to keep everything in the 'collection' topped off. In the nearly 20-years of using the things, we've lost exactly ONE battery that we maintained on a tender. It was in the race car, and just quit starting the car one day (funny, that I had a friend to co-drive for me that day, and I joked "I'll go see if this thing will start and roll it off the trailer." and it didn't :| )

I'm not terribly fond of the single-port units that Battery Minder has, and can probably bolt a power strip to the wall for multiple units, but their EZ-Connector is something I've been wanting to do to the race car for a while now (we have to pop the deck lid loose to hook the battery up). That USB port connector is tempting, too.

Thanks for sharing.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?