Clone tech 2

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
crd

Clone tech 2

Post by crd »

I am looking at buying a clone tech 2. Has anyone use one if so what are you thoughts
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Clone tech 2

Post by elc32955 »

Just my brief 2 cents worth, some Tech 2 clones are better then others. I almost bought a clone a number of years back to work on my 2011, but the amount of times I'd use the device didn't justify the bucks I'd spend for it. There are some threads here that do discuss Tech 2 clones if I remember correctly, make sure to read those and carefully research before you leap. Once you spend on this kind of device it's almost impossible to get your money back. Also beware of people selling what they say are genuine Tech 2's (from closed dealerships, privately owned, yada yada) as a lot of time they're clones and concealing the genuine nature to make more bucks. There's plenty of resource info on the net about the subject, even YouTube videos... And don't forget the CANdi module!

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
crd

Post by crd »

Thanks for the advice.
Mooseman

Post by Mooseman »

Also posted to your other thread.

I have one and it's a great tool however I have a 2011 and it works with it. Yours being a 2013 is on the edge of not being compatible so it may not work. And it wouldn't be compatible with anything beyond 2013. I'd get a GM MDI instead. It's backwards compatible and you'd be future proofed, at least for now.

Just be careful if ordering from overseas, like from Aliexpress, as the US Customs lately have been seizing them and charging importers of these Chinese clones. Be sure you order from somewhere that's shipping from the US. Had a guy on another forum I'm on have his seized and facing possible heavy fines. Luckily he only lost the Tech 2.
2011 Caprice PPV, former RCMP test vehicle, never put into service
Build Thread: http://www.newcaprice.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2419
crd

Post by crd »

Thanks for replying. I decided to go with the vxdiag vcx nano tech2win instead. It has the gm mdi. You need your own laptop. Just got it loaded and running on the laptop. Its a pain to get up and going however its seems to work well. Our cars are difficult to located within the system.
mburrus

Post by mburrus »

i have a 13 as well... from what i understand, tech2win is whats required, and nor gds for the 13...

is a subscription required for tech2win? and if so how much?

were i to buy a clone tech2, would a subscription be required, or does it just work?
2013 9C1 (former city of Ft. Lauderdale FL), L77
2014 Silverado 2500HD L96, 6L90e, 4.10
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

You can find tech2win license for as low as 5 dollars I believe. You just need the J2534 pass through tool to connect via Tech2win. You can Google the download/license.

With modern technology a Tech2 clone is not worth it since you can emulate it via a Laptop and pass through tool.

I used the VXdiag off Amazon. It included everything I needed.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
mburrus

Post by mburrus »

$5 for a license! and you can access multiple vehicles? wow... where can i find that license, ebay?

looks like an MDI and tech2win may be the way to go...
2013 9C1 (former city of Ft. Lauderdale FL), L77
2014 Silverado 2500HD L96, 6L90e, 4.10