What can you do with a Tech 2 ?

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
leonpiper69

What can you do with a Tech 2 ?

Post by leonpiper69 »

I keep seeing references to a tool called Tech 2 but not familiar with it. I have a couple different scanners that are older and I have HP Tuners (because I have been into LS engines for a while now) but never heard of Tech 2.

Just wondering if it can do others things like make changes to BCM settings etc etc?
Fudgehog

Re: What can you do with a Tech 2 ?

Post by Fudgehog »

Do a search on the VXdiag, you can program some functions using ACdelco TIS programming system, and can program the auto/non auto headlights, and the dome lamp function when doors open or inoperative as it comes stock but that's it. And update some modules.

I used the VXdiag to program my immobilizer and remote function actuator modules for + Remote start before I sent my BCM to Chris White so that he could program the last step.

Look up Remote Start Adventure if you're interested.

VXdiag also comes with Tech2 which allows ABS brake bleeding, Brake pedal relearn (which you'll need after BCM flash), and shoot primary SDM key into airbag module (which you'll need after BCM flash). Also advanced code reading, troubleshooting, turn on right rear brake light by itself, activate transmission solenoids etc etc.

Plenty of topics about it. It's a worthy investment. But only works completely on a 11-13. For 14+ you'll need GDS2 which the VXdiag is supposed to come with, mine did, but you have to run it on a virtual Win7 machine. On top of Win10 or whatever you have.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Thanks for the reply. Sorry it took me a bit to say thank you. Been super busy the last few days at my gun shop (I volunteered to help the local dept with a bunch of their guns for the individual officers so swamped.

But that sounds like something I want.

I will do a little digging. I would like to add remote start at some point and if it makes it easier that would be nice along with ABS bleeding etc. I was just going to install a viper alarm/remote start like I had done on most of my cars in the past but I like having a factory key fob for it. My Tahoe has that as well as my silverado.
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

AFAIK no one has done aftermarket remote start. But it is possible to do it yourself like I did for 500 or less. When Chris White programs it, it does add a passive alarm system as well.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

I used to work in the industry years ago. Alarms and remote start usually aren't too difficult (unless there is something weird with the PPV that I am unaware of.

I just like having a factory Keyfob for some reason, don't really know why. I also like using factory radios to do a really nice clean hidden great sound system.

Will look into the Chris white stuff a little more. I thought it was just to unlock blue teeth and ipod stuff. I don't use and ipod or blue teeth, only CDs so for me I didn't see any reason to bother with having him do stuff.
GammaFlat

Post by GammaFlat »

Fudgehog wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 pm AFAIK no one has done aftermarket remote start. But it is possible to do it yourself like I did for 500 or less. When Chris White programs it, it does add a passive alarm system as well.
I have a "12 Volt Solutions" remote start on my '13 https://www.12volt.solutions/. I love it. It was expensive (489.00 less any discounts - currently 17% for 4th of July - also discounts for military and police). That price is with Android support. Subsequent annual fees are 20 or 30 bucks (cellular service). I can start the car from anywhere. I can also see 1) if car is running, 2) voltage of battery, 3) signal strength of cell module, 4) temperature at car 5) how long car has been running and 6) status of locks... all from my phone. I can remotely lock car, unlock car, start and "terminate run" (turn engine off).

Installation was pretty simple. Take the top and bottom clam shells off the steering column. Install 2 plug in modules. They interrupt the plug in the ignition harness and immobilizer (all modules just plug right in). For extra credit, you can tap into a wire that goes to the BCM for running lights when started. Also... for better reception, put the cellular module high in the dashboard (speaker grill maybe).

This is great for me because the remote range on the Caprice is a little anemic (I can spit further). I understand there are ways to extend this, but I can reach my car from inside my house and inside my office (1/2 mile from my car). The range is literally unlimited. That's great for hot and cold weather.. or if you want to occasionally run your car remotely to charge up the battery.

Remote Start screen shot.jpg
Remote Start screen shot.jpg (645.25 KiB) Viewed 6019 times
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio
leonpiper69

Post by leonpiper69 »

Very cool idea.

I did notice how weak the key fob is.
GammaFlat

Remote Start and gobs of other features

Post by GammaFlat »

GammaFlat wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:03 pm
Fudgehog wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:46 pm AFAIK no one has done aftermarket remote start. But it is possible to do it yourself like I did for 500 or less. When Chris White programs it, it does add a passive alarm system as well.
I have a "12 Volt Solutions" remote start on my '13 https://www.12volt.solutions/. I love it. It was expensive (489.00 less any discounts - currently 17% for 4th of July - also discounts for military and police). That price is with Android support. Subsequent annual fees are 20 or 30 bucks (cellular service). I can start the car from anywhere. I can also see 1) if car is running, 2) voltage of battery, 3) signal strength of cell module, 4) temperature at car 5) how long car has been running and 6) status of locks... all from my phone. I can remotely lock car, unlock car, start and "terminate run" (turn engine off).

Installation was pretty simple. Take the top and bottom clam shells off the steering column. Install 2 plug in modules. They interrupt the plug in the ignition harness and immobilizer (all modules just plug right in). For extra credit, you can tap into a wire that goes to the BCM for running lights when started. Also... for better reception, put the cellular module high in the dashboard (speaker grill maybe).

This is great for me because the remote range on the Caprice is a little anemic (I can spit further). I understand there are ways to extend this, but I can reach my car from inside my house and inside my office (1/2 mile from my car). The range is literally unlimited. That's great for hot and cold weather.. or if you want to occasionally run your car remotely to charge up the battery.

Remote Start screen shot.jpg
One more thing... if your car gets stolen, you can find it with your phone. You can pull up a map inside the app. It shows you where your phone is and where you car is. That could be helpful in recovering it before the thieves disconnect the battery.
Current: 2013 9C3, deeper trans pan, 12VoltSolutions Remote, Class III hitch, Android Auto capable radio