Black Bear Tune anyone?

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Capeasy

Black Bear Tune anyone?

Post by Capeasy »

I think I'm just gonna do an auto cal. street tune via a data logger from Black Bear Performance instead of trying to figure out how to use an HP tuner. I heard alot of good reviews about BB performance from other members who have used them on Tahoe PPVs but not sure if they actually done any of our Caprices yet. When I called down there today and told them I have a 13 Caprice PPV he said he wasnt sure Auto cal supported our application. But I'm sure someone must have used them I just cant find any members who have. Anyways BB told me to Email them my VIN and they will look into whether or not they can tune our cars? I told them it really shouldn't be much different than a G8.
So if any members in the group had a good experience with them please share.
Thanks
Walt
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
xcidmigs

Re: Black Bear Tune anyone?

Post by xcidmigs »

I used an autocal plug in from Black Bear on my 2011 caprice back in 2015, not sure who you talked to that didn't seem to know this but I had them repeatedly retune my car from when it was stock to when I did a LS3 cam swap. They are on the slow side to respond when you email them your log file but every time they did I have very little issue with what they sent me, they also helped diagnosis a lazy O2 sensor and a place I was getting bad quality gas at also. Those autocal devices may be avail used on ebay etc at this point 2......
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

They did the tune on our Tahoe PPV, and even though we didn't do much, other than adjust the torque management and throttle response, they did a great job of that. They even tuned it for premium, since we always run that anyway. I contacted them about our Caprice, and they stated they could do it as well.

Just a note, they travel to places and do local tunes, when they have a fair number of customers lined up. They did that here in Houston so the Tahoe was tuned 'live'. Check their calendar to see if they're coming to a town near you, and see if you can get on the list.

They even updated the firmware on my EFI Live controller while they were there. Two thumb's up for service and outcome!
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
Ilikemtb999

Post by Ilikemtb999 »

I should be uploading my start up tune from black bear tomorrow as they’re doing the tune on my caprice after the btr stage 2 cam swap I’m buttoning up.