Curt trailer hitch install questions

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
Greasy

Curt trailer hitch install questions

Post by Greasy »

So I have a 2012 and bought the Curt class 1 hitch. I currently have the mufflers out and heat shields off. The problem I'm having is the holes in the diagram do not match the car. Is there anybody that has successfully installed this hitch that could chime in? I could just drill the holes wherever I need but wanted someone with first hand experience to help me make sure i'm not missing something. Thanks!
elc32955
System Manager

Re: Curt trailer hitch install questions

Post by elc32955 »

I'd bet you it's designed around the G8 wheelbase. In that case, the holes probably wouldn't match up as we've got a bit longer rear end then either the G8 or the SS. In this case, one size doesn't fit all... :evil:

There's a few threads here regarding hitch installs, might try browsing those first. I seem to recall that those were all Holden hitches that were custom-ordered in, although I could be wrong. I wasn't even aware that Curt was manufacturing a hitch for our cars.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

Yeah it says it fits the G8, PPV and SS. I’ll just have to drill the holes and be done with it. Don’t see any other way out. The Holden hitches are pretty sweet but cost too much to import. Tried to get the Holden parts USA guy to sell me one but he needs to bring in atleast five to make it worth his time. Nice guy though.
Greasy

Post by Greasy »

After lots of staring and a few beers I figured out that the bolt holes are indeed there and would line up IF the muffler hanger brackets weren’t in the way. Going to postpone the project til spring since the shop isn’t heated. I’ll end up cutting off the brackets and fabricating new brackets off the hitch once it’s installed. No biggie. For those that are wondering why I’m bothering with the hitch at all. I downsized from a f250 and a 16’ trailer and I need to be able to pull small trailer occasionally.