Little Issues

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
BIG_GREEK

Little Issues

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Hey all! Here recently there have been some little quirks going on with my beloved Caprice. Its got just over 12k miles on it and Ive had it new since this past August, at only 230miles.

Anyways, there have been some little issues I am soon to bring up to a dealer with my oil change.

- Improper wearing of the tires. 9/10 my miles are all highway, no major cornering, no burnouts, no nothing. All four are cupping/feathering (just starting to) and inadvertently causing tire noise. The car doesnt pull or track weird, and right before i purchased the vehicle the steering rack was replaced, under the recall, and naturally an alignment was performed.

- Rattles. I first noticed it on my drivers door when I bought the car, with the window all the way down, close the door, it sounds like the regulator assembly is being tossed around in the door. They "fixed" the drivers side (reason for the quotations, I do not trust my local dealer with anything) and has yet to fail. Now, the passenger side is doing it.

TPMS - Last month, I'm sitting in a parking lot and my TPMS light illuminates and a warning came up with needing air in my RR tire. I look, and the computer display reads 35 PSI (and so do the rest). I drive, and next key cycle, the light goes out with it at 33-34 PSI indicated. A day or two later, the warning returns with the PSI at 37 PSI indicated. Now, I have not manually checked or added air into the tires. It has been about a week without a light or warning. The tires, indicated, are between 34-38 PSI and all within 1 PSI of each other at all times.

Sorry for the long post, but im wondering if any of you have experience one or all of these issues.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
xcidmigs

Re: Little Issues

Post by xcidmigs »

the TPMS alarm system is a total PIA and has factory settings which are very high, mine go off sometimes as high as 34 PSI also and it depends if its a front or rear tire. Seems very dependent on the weather and how much of a overnight drop in temp there was. I have learned to ignore it for a day or so and then generally it goes off by itself. Someone posted that its possible to change the settings but when I asked my local dealer they knew nothing about it and said they could not while under warranty.
sardillim

Post by sardillim »

i have to keep my pressures at 38psi
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

AS xd mentioned there are different alarm parameters for the fronts and rear.

Bill did have his trigger points readjusted but he has a dealer that seems to be willing to learn something as opposed to putting their heads in teh sand:
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=11&start=20#p2855" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't know what warranty has to do with it the trigger pints were selected assuming a police car would be carrying 200 lbs of equipment in the trunk at all times. In civilian hands the pressure can be lower in the back with no issues.

What I wrote on the subject before concerning the sticker in our door frames:

Looking at our tire stickers (2011):

So an observation I just made. Since we have different recommendations for front and rear tire pressure I submit that the warning triggers are different for front and rear. I think this is why most people seem to report nuisance warnings coming from the rear tires first.

So lets say the margin is 10psi margin from the recommended.
That would mean warnings would occur this way:

_________Reccomended_________Warning______
Front..............39........................29
Rear...............44........................34
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

Don't forget... there's different callouts in the owners manual for Caprice PPV's that are not on active patrol service with respect to tire pressures. You can show those to a dealer and possibly persuade them to recalibrate the TPMS alarm set points to something more realistic. The door sticker doesn't apply unless you are actively chasing bad guys. So sayeth the GM :)

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Yea that is true. I spoke with the dealer, 3rd one Im dealing with, and I have an appointment to drop it off next week. I spoke with the service manager, who I know personally, and explained to him about the issues. He said the tire pressure system is set to what was stated above and that's probably the reason why the light came on.

What is an SS supposed to be set at, if they are around the same, maybe its the cars design?

He also said that the tires/alignment issue wouldn't be covered (if something was at fault) because the factory "wear item" warranty ends at 7500 miles. Car has almost 13k now..........

But I will see what happens when I get it looked at next week! :shock:

xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

BIG_GREEK wrote: What is an SS supposed to be set at, if they are around the same, maybe its the cars design?

He also said that the tires/alignment issue wouldn't be covered (if something was at fault) because the factory "wear item" warranty ends at 7500 miles. Car has almost 13k now..........
:
This is why i HATE car dealers, in any way they always find an answer that means you have to pay more.... you would think after the big bailout years ago they would have changed their CS model more. It would be like you order a sandwhich and take a few bites before realizing they put something wrong or bad on it and then when you take it back they claim its worn now that you ate a corner off it. WHERES THE PRIDE IN YOUR PRODUCT PEOPLE?

Sorry rant mode off but the idea about the SS sedan TPMS points seems like a good one, I have 19" tires on mine and several people are running 20" on here I've found that my sweet spot for ride quality is around 33F 38R and my rears are only set that high because of the alarms I'd probably like 33 all around better. I'll try to ask a guy i know with a 16 SS what his is listed as
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Welp, I had my go at the dealer last week...and so far, its been the greatest experience so far.

Now with the issues found with the above, the TPMS was [most likely] the pressure being too low under spec, front 39 and rear 42. Now I have noticed the ride is rougher, but Im waiting to see what that does to my mileage and tire wear pattern.

The tire wear, we threw it on the alignment rack, everything was in spec. We brought the toe in a little to adjust for going down the road. It was within spec, but on the edge of being in the red. But even if the toe was out, it wouldnt cause the cupping issue. I dont know, maybe its because they're Goodyears.

The door rattle, we found it being the chrome strip below the window, it was rubbing against the bottom of the mirror causing a noise and vibration. The fix would be a new strip, which we are waiting for a parts arrival.