HP Tuner Question

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
bluethunder

HP Tuner Question

Post by bluethunder »

Do most people here purchase some type of scanner tool / computer program to retune there car after mods are done. Or is it best to take it to a full time tuner to get the most out of your car. These tuner packages,(like HP) and others are pretty pricey, and not sure yet which direction to go in. Thanks
GTPprix

Re: HP Tuner Question

Post by GTPprix »

HP Tuners is GREAT if you know how to tune. It doesn't just do it for you and to do it right you'll need a LOT of time and a LOT of time to learn; oh and a wideband :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
Silversled

Post by Silversled »

Agree with Chris. HPTuners is great if you intend to actually do the tuning. If you are doing full tuning, the Pro version is the one to have since it has the analog inputs for your Lambda/Wideband so VCM Scanner data logs with your other PIDs and Maths (parameters). If you want to work with a remote tuner, the lower level HPTuners is the one to get. HPTuners probably has the largest user base so peer support and the number of available remote tuners will be better.

If you are just data logging and clearing codes, there are probably cheaper solutions.
2014 Chevrolet Caprice PPV
2014 Chevrolet Stingray Z51
2016 AMG C63
2015 BMW X5 iDrive 50i
bluethunder

Post by bluethunder »

Thank you for your advise.....Found a local tuner that I am pretty sure could help me out when the time comes. :D :D
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

I to will need to get some sort of tuner for a gear change and trans shifting improvements. I'm not sure what model tuner will give me the most bang for the buck?
And do they just plug into the OBD and what do they mean when they say I will need a wideband?
Thanks
Walt
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's
kevink

Post by kevink »

A wideband is a type of O2 sensor that needs to be installed in the exhaust system so the air/fuel mixture can be tuned. It interfaces with the tuner and records air fuel ratio along with all of the other parameters that you select to log. The factory O2 sensors will not work for this. If you only want to tune the trans and adjust for different gears, you don't need one. But, if you're tuning the trans already, you might as well get the engine tuned at the same time. Widebands are relatively cheap. If you take your car to a dyno for tuning, they should be able to use their wideband on your car. If you're getting the car remote tuned, you'll need to install your own.
2011 9C3: 11.48 @118.
Capeasy

Post by Capeasy »

Will a HP MPV12 tuner do the trick for a gear change and possibly trans shifting improvements ? I see them on EBay for around $299.
Thanks
Walt
Walt (AKA:Capeasy) So. Cal.
2013 Caprice 9C1,Huron white, Blackbear tune, DOD Delete, Texas Speed stage 2 cam with all the goodies, Circle D 258 mm converter, 3200 stall. Spectra CAI, 3.45 Diff, deep trans pan. BlackWidow Venom exhaust,Granatelli oval cutouts, Doug Thorley tri-Y headers, Pedders coilovers,Tower brace, Widend OE. rear wheels to 10" wide with 295 Nitto's