Unable to view ABS/TCS, FPCM or other module data

Caprice and GM-related general tech topics. Questions & topics on vehicle tuning, HP Tuners use, etc.....
JPPV

Unable to view ABS/TCS, FPCM or other module data

Post by JPPV »

I am unable to view data from any modules other than the ECM and TCM in the GM GDS system using an MDI interface. Anyone else tried to view the other modules? GDS doesn't even think any other modules (other than the ECM and TCM) exist so I can't look at live data from those modules or check codes in those modules. Vehicle is a 2012 Caprice PPV with the L77 V8.

I can connect to these other modules in the service programming system (SPS) so I am fairly certain it isn't a CAN connection issue.

Any ideas?
GTPprix

Re: Unable to view ABS/TCS, FPCM or other module data

Post by GTPprix »

Of course not; GDS is for Global A vehicles Unless you have a 14+ you don't have Global A; you need a Tech 2 :)
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
JPPV

Post by JPPV »

GTPprix wrote:Of course not; GDS is for Global A vehicles Unless you have a 14+ you don't have Global A; you need a Tech 2 :)
So I can see the ECM and TCM data stream in GDS and it is listed as a supported vehicle in the GDS vehicle list but it isn't really fully supported by GDS?

Ok, I'll try the Tech 2 (or Tech2Win via the MDI).

BTW - Does a listing of what vehicles/model years are Global A exist?

Thanks
Jason
2012 PPV Caprice (9C1)
1992 Volvo 740 wagon w LS1 V8 & T56 MT
GTPprix

Post by GTPprix »

JPPV wrote:
GTPprix wrote:Of course not; GDS is for Global A vehicles Unless you have a 14+ you don't have Global A; you need a Tech 2 :)
So I can see the ECM and TCM data stream in GDS and it is listed as a supported vehicle in the GDS vehicle list but it isn't really fully supported by GDS?

Ok, I'll try the Tech 2 (or Tech2Win via the MDI).

BTW - Does a listing of what vehicles/model years are Global A exist?

Thanks
These cars are (as I'm sure you've noticed) bastards lol the rule of thumb is GM LAN use a tech 2 Global A&B use gds however Australia is always behind GMNA By ~2 years minimum so the support is horrible. I will double check tomorrow but I believe the gds implantation was a compromise since GMNA Tech 2 suppport ended but they were still being actively used in OZ. You could use a Holden card or simply set it up as a 2009 g8 and be able to see/do pretty much anything you need.
Chris White
http://www.whiteautoandmedia.com
2022 3LT Red Mist Coupe
2023 70th Anniversary Z06 HTC
2023 Escalade V
2023 Yukon Denali Ultimate LM2
2022 Camaro ZL1 M6
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

FYI - I've just moderated a post in this thread. Posting of links to software items covered under proprietary copyright violates system guidelines and is not acceptable. Sorry.

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
JPPV

Post by JPPV »

Ok so I connected with Tech2Web (basically GM's Tech2 simulation software for MDI and other J2534 devices) and I can see the other modules using that (selecting the correct vehicle - 2012 Chevrolet Caprice in the NA software set).

So you need a Tech2 with a CANDi module or a MDI or J2534 compliant cable (with GM supported drivers) and a GDS license and you can see all the modules.

Now that I could communicate with the BCM, I performed a brake pedal position learn and programmed the SDM primary key.

The airbag light went away but everything else still didn't work (ABS, traction control etc.) and the radio/HVAC display was off (I think it turned off when it ran my battery down).

I cleared all the codes in all the modules, still no abs, traction control or stability control.

Drove the car, shut down, came back in the afternoon, unplugged the radio fuse in the trunk, plugged it back in and now I have functioning abs, traction control etc but the hvac display is on but still locked. Drove home and pulled the fuse so it won't drain the battery. Have a USB cable coming - hope to get the radio back up and working again once I have that.
Jason
2012 PPV Caprice (9C1)
1992 Volvo 740 wagon w LS1 V8 & T56 MT