Los Angeles upfitter

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
iefbr14

Los Angeles upfitter

Post by iefbr14 »

I don't have time to do this myself, so I am looking for a Los Angeles area upfitter to do some minor work for me. I figure they know the car so well, that they can do this in their sleep.

a) bring keyed 12v to the rearview mirror
b) bring always on 12v to the rear deck
c) figure out what the bundle of tied (and cut) cables under the mounting platform is for
d) give me a line behind the grill that is hot when low beams are on.
e) give me a line " " " high beams are on.

(I'll have to remind him to be careful, since this is a personal car, not a government car, in which little mistakes don't matter. Example: a broken trim retainer from pulling a panel too hard, or an accidental little razor cut in the headliner in a city car would be "Oh well". For me, these would be a crisis , "Oh, NO!!!"
mercialogo

Re: Los Angeles upfitter

Post by mercialogo »

I might be able to help some, but i am still looking for some information too. Someone please correct me where i am wrong. I would think that you already have a ignition power on at the mirror since the compus only comes on when the key is in accessory or on. There are 2 coiled harnesses with 3 plugs under the dash on the passanger side. I think i have most of the wires figured out but need some help figuring out the last few or maybe where i might be wrong. Here is what i have figured out so far
Power harness
Plug 1.
Red wire with white stripe = 50 amp constant power
Black wire= ground
Plug2
2x's light green=20 amp constant power.
Brown=power when key in accessory and run
Pink=power when key in start\run
Light blue= not sure yet
Plug 3
Yellow with black stripe=power when in gear
Orange=something to do with vehical speed
White with red stripe=radio mute trigger
Gray=grill light that goes to engine bay near radiator
Tan=grill light that goes to engine bay near radiator
Lt green=siren wire goes to engine bay near radiator
Lt blue= siren wire goes to engine bay near radiator
Dark blue=not sure but maybe trigger for wigwag flasher.

Please someone correct me where i am wrong
1991 Honda Night Hawk 750
2000 Silver Trans Am (RIP)
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Extreme
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

If you want the pin-outs for the police harness in the passenger side footwell, all of that info is detailed in the brochures in the file section off the main site menu. Just download the technical brochure on the particular year car you have and it should have what you're looking for in the file.

If you need to get in-depth more then that, several of us here have access to the Helm information for service on these cars, mine's hard copy for the 2011 but others have GM electronic subscriptions....

Good luck!
Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

I have been through that information. That is where I got most of what I think I have figured out. I am not the best at reading schematics so I was hoping that someone could confirm and fill in the couple of blanks just to make sure what I think I am reading in the schematics is correct.
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
iefbr14

Post by iefbr14 »

Thanks for the responses. From 2014 forward, the compass in mirror was deleted. In fact, thats what I wanted to put back myself, hence needing 12v keyed power to the rearview mirror area.

I
mercialogo

Post by mercialogo »

wow, did not know that. In that case, do you still have the interior lights on the roof? They would not be set to the Accessory\run key switch but would be connected to the timer side circuit that would only activate the power once you unlocked the doors or turned the ignition on, and would shut the power off after the timer hits the 10 min mark.
2013 Silver Caprice PPV
PPV_Nighthawk

Post by PPV_Nighthawk »

I've also been looking for a LA/Orange County area police equipment up-fitter and I've discovered that resources in this region are slim, as most agencies perform the modifications themselves. However, I noticed Pomona PD has quite a bit of Caprice PPV's in their fleet, so maybe get ahold of someone their and find out who services their vehicle equipment?