Connector for Special Equipment Options

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
Blitzenfox

Connector for Special Equipment Options

Post by Blitzenfox »

I'm looking for the connectors to plug into the molex connector on the wires that terminate on the passenger side fromunder the equipment mounting plate. Does a company sell a set that matches connectors on a 2016 Caprice?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Connector for Special Equipment Options

Post by smwalker »

Can you get some pics of the one where the one you need plugs into? I got a 14 I can look at but wondering inf anything changed to 16.

The service manuals don't have any of the upfitting pinouts so we may have to rely on KERR but tehy will progly just sell you an entire harness.

Huh Kerr's site is down. But some contact info for them: Kerr Industries 905-725-6561.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

When I ordered my stuff for my 2014, they said something to the fact of the 14s had different connectors than the newer 2016/2017s. Which connectors are different, im not sure. Your best bet is to call them. You can call GM and try to get part numbers.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
paul54

Post by paul54 »

What are you looking to connect? On my 2014, they pretty much cut off all the wires from the connectors when they modded the car. It actually easier to just use the wires that are there. You can figure the color codes (and hence which pin is which) from the owners manual, or a couple of the technical docs floating around on the PPV package.

One connector is all power related: 50 amp on all the time, and two 30 amp that are switched. There are three smaller control wires, that if you twist together will set the 30 amp relays to be ignition controlled. An hour with a VOM and you can figure it all out and test it.

The other connectors house the flashy light stuff, speed sensor, surveillance mode, 4 extra unused wires that terminate under the hood, etc. Mine all check out except the small yellow wire, which is supposed to go Hot when the cars comes out of park. Mine is hot all the time.

Hope that helps.
Last edited by paul54 on Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blitzenfox

Post by Blitzenfox »

Thank you guys for all the information. I'll have to try Kerr. I've attached 2 pictures of the molex connectors I am trying to connect to (if possible w/o cutting them off).
Attachments
20171108_151845.jpg
20171108_151845.jpg (2.28 MiB) Viewed 21165 times
20171108_155207.jpg
20171108_155207.jpg (2.45 MiB) Viewed 21165 times
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

Please re-size your pictures, its hard to see and load from a 13" screen laptop
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Resized pics:

So those are coming out from your center console area yes?

I have looked up one before and posed it on the board I think. Give me day to find the other one. gather up all the numbers.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

OK so the 16 cavity plug pictured is Yazaki 7283-1160 (Female) The Male counterpart for the plug is Yazaki 7282-1160 - Catalog Link

The 6 Cavity plug picture is Yazaki 7283-1064 (Female) The Male counterpart is 7282-1064 - Catalog Link
Note on the 6 cavity plug 2 different size terminals are used 2.3 and 8.0 so this connector is classified as a "Hybrid" in their catalog.

This is the catalog page that shows at least one of the connectors and the 2.3 terminals needed.
http://www.datasheets360.com/pdf/4731744449149975198" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also just wanted to throw in this caveat. Depending on what items you are planning on adding and where you will be mounting the items there is a chance you will not need any further connectors to accomplish that. For what you have taken a picture of is (I think) the end of your "extension" harness. Meaning if we call that end you took a picture of "A" then the other end of the harness is "B" and my theory is (because I have never seen it on a 14+) that the same connectors are on the other end of the harness and plugged into their male counterparts under your center console cover. So what you would find if you traced the extension harness back and freed it up from where it is routed through the console is that you already have about 6 feet of wire you could use in order to hook up your accessories if you were mounting them in the center console area. So my only goal in telling you this is I would hate to have you go through ordering stuff that you did not need once you traced the harness and figured out if you needed it at all in the first place. So my advise would be to take off the center console cover and you should see the same 3 connectors you have pictured (16 cavity, 6 Cavity, blue single cavity) on the "B" end of the harness.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
paul54

Post by paul54 »

Steve, on my '14, there is no other connector easily visible. The connectors (like what the OP showed) match mine, and then the cables just disappear under the carpet and reappear elsewhere (ie, there is one that is pretty much all power, and it ends up on the right side of the trunk and then four conductors that just end up in the engine bay). I don't think there is another set of connectors, but I will look again!

I can see the desire to keep it 100% stock, but in my case the upfitter pretty much took a side cutters to all the wires just in front of the connectors and spliced in what they needed. That is more typical I think. They don't want to mess around making a custom wire harness to fit the connector, they just crank on their butt connectors to their whelans and motorolas and its done!

Paul
s/c'd cav

Post by s/c'd cav »

wonder if i should get the plug ends , just have them , lol