Kerr/Soundoff Signal Module - Stock Wigwag Issue [Solved]

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
Fudgehog

Re: Kerr Equipment - Wigwag Module

Post by Fudgehog »

So I've received the Soundoff module, and it plugs in line under the hood. I am planning to drop the glovebox shortly and take some pictures for you. Reading some info about the police wiring, do I need this GM (95710161) connector at all? Or would it benefit me? I have the empty connector mounted to the top of the trunk as well.
Last edited by Fudgehog on Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

What you find behind the glove box will determine inf you need that part. You would only need it if they completely removed he upfitter harness from the car. Most times they just cut it to disconnect things and leave the harness in tact.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:What you find behind the glove box will determine inf you need that part. You would only need it if they completely removed he upfitter harness from the car. Most times they just cut it to disconnect things and leave the harness in tact.
Thanks again man!
13 Caprice 6.0L, Solo catback exhaust, 3.27 diff, VCM OTR and Volant throttle spacer, MSD coils plugs wires, transmission pan upgrade and widemouth filter. Camaro 18" rims.

Active Duty USAF
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

Okay so I have her all ripped open and I found the red and green wire. The module is wired into the headlamp under the hood. There are two black wires next to the red/green, testing them both with the red/green doesn't give voltage. When I take one of the black wires and connect it to the kick panel ground the car horn starts going off, and when I test the red/green with that black wire it gives me negative voltage. A friend is supposed to be picking me up a 12v switch. What do I need to do? I put a big ring terminal on that black ground next to the capped off red and white thinking maybe it needs to be grounded.

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Attachments
IMG_20171001_131645.jpg
IMG_20171001_131645.jpg (477.04 KiB) Viewed 17339 times
IMG_20171001_131312.jpg
IMG_20171001_131312.jpg (347.18 KiB) Viewed 17339 times
IMG_20171001_131246.jpg
IMG_20171001_131246.jpg (664.24 KiB) Viewed 17339 times

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

So the green wire with the red stripe. Apply 12 volts to that wire and wig's should be waggin.

The two black wires I suspect are your horn bypass and they hooked them together so the horn would work again. If you follow those down to the firewall I bet you will see them connected at the firewall under the blower motor.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:So the green wire with the red stripe. Apply 12 volts to that wire and wig's should be waggin.

The two black wires I suspect are your horn bypass and they hooked them together so the horn would work again. If you follow those down to the firewall I bet you will see them connected at the firewall under the blower motor.

Okay, unfortunately applying 12v to the red/green doesn't make them turn on. I tried with an unplugged connection and a spare battery. Do I need to connect any other wires or that orange one? I'm pretty much done with the project for the day. Do I just need a 12v switch?

And are the flashers already grounded out or does that need to be done? Do you think those two thick grey Kerr wires have anything to do with this?

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Did you have the car on when you tied 12 volts to the green/red wire?

Can you post a pic of how you have the wig wag module hooked up to the headlamp harness.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:Did you have the car on when you tied 12 volts to the green/red wire?

Can you post a pic of how you have the wig wag module hooked up to the headlamp harness.

I think I have it hooked up normally, and tried multiple 12v sources. They never turned on.
Attachments
IMG_20171001_182632_01.jpg
IMG_20171001_182632_01.jpg (622.83 KiB) Viewed 17333 times

Active Duty USAF
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

Huh, yea that looks good, let me go home and look at mine. Will report back.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
Fudgehog

Post by Fudgehog »

smwalker wrote:Huh, yea that looks good, let me go home and look at mine. Will report back.
Thanks!

Active Duty USAF