Size of hole in roof for rooftop lightbar?

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
CrashTestDummy

Size of hole in roof for rooftop lightbar?

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Does anyone know, or can anyone measure the hole cut in the roof for the rooftop lightbar? We have a plug in ours, and I'd like to make sure I can cover it when I pull that plug. I'm actually contemplating getting a working GPS antenna for that spot, for any potential future use, so also want to make sure I don't get something too small, or too large. I got an old, used GPS pancake antenna from Garner, but am really thinking that if I'm up in there, I might as well snake some coax down the B-pillar, too. Just a thought. The old antenna was for the price of shipping, a new antenna is some $$.

Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
smwalker
Administration Staff

Re: Size of hole in roof for rooftop lightbar?

Post by smwalker »

Do you think those are a standard size? Or did every upfitter use what ever size they wanted/needed?
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

It greatly varies depending on what tools the installer had handy at the moment. No easy way out of that one I'm afraid, your cable hole is individual to your car. Sorry.... I've seen installers use antenna hole saws, cable hole saws with different diameter, you name it. If the blade gets dull on saw "A" they just switch to different diameter saw "B" and grab escutcheon "B" instead of "A" for the remainder of the installs for the day.

Ever seen an equipment install that prison inmates did? :) Heh heh....
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Okay, the 94-96 B-body cars had a standard hole with a harness pulled through it from the assembly plant. I figured it would still be a standard. My bad.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

I used a large washer to back up the mounting nut on a GPS antenna. Everything went together fine.

And yeah, the hole was pretty narly-looking. Probably drilled with a hole saw that was way past it's prime.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
BIG_GREEK

Post by BIG_GREEK »

yea it all depends. If the hole comes from the manufacture (Factory option), its most likely 3/4"-1". It can vary depending on what lightbar was used, what the moron was thinking whilst doing it, etc...

If in doubt, pull the plug, measure the hole and reinstall plug with silicone sealer.
"God created Police Officers so Fireman could have heroes!" - My late Father

2014 Phatom Black 9C1 (Toy)
2000 VW Jetta TDI (Daily 420k miles)
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

IIRC, it was about 1" in diameter. A large flat washer served well to back up the nut on the inside.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

Measure it, but standard is 1 inch
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018
StevenJay

Post by StevenJay »

If it was a lightbar hole upfitters will just drill a 1 inch hole, install a rubber 1 inch thin wall grommet and run the wire bundle through the hole and silicone it .
Steven J.
-2014 Chevy Caprice PPV Pre-Production Pilot vehicle RPO code-Switchblade silver metallic purchased 11/2017
-2017 Chevy Caprice PPV- Switchblade silver metallic-GM Show Car RPO code. purchased 1/2018