flasher module

This section is for discussion of OEM police package options and police equipment for the Caprice (both OEM and after-market), as well as after-market upfitting perfomed on our cars.
xcidmigs

Re: flasher module

Post by xcidmigs »

[quote
Once you plug in the module, you should have a wire in the up fitter harness (Dark green on 2014) and when 12VDC is applied, it will flash the high beam headlights. If using the OEM GM supplied flasher, the flasher will send the proper signal to trigger the brake/reverse light that is flashing.[/quote]

So again considering my original question which is how can this function be added to a car that did not come with it, all you need to buy is a module and then some type of on/off switch you can then use to get power to that harness connection? I'm assuming this is the harness that is coiled under the passenger side dash area? I have a 2011?
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

anyone have a flasher module they want to sell for less than $60 shipped before i buy one?
9C1fanatic

Post by 9C1fanatic »

xcidmigs wrote:[quote
Once you plug in the module, you should have a wire in the up fitter harness (Dark green on 2014) and when 12VDC is applied, it will flash the high beam headlights. If using the OEM GM supplied flasher, the flasher will send the proper signal to trigger the brake/reverse light that is flashing.
So again considering my original question which is how can this function be added to a car that did not come with it, all you need to buy is a module and then some type of on/off switch you can then use to get power to that harness connection? I'm assuming this is the harness that is coiled under the passenger side dash area? I have a 2011?[/quote]

You got it. Just look at the 2011 Municipal Guide for the Caprice to find the wire color in the harness that activates the flasher. On my car it was green and the upfitter harness comes out of the center console area but if yours is a 9C3 I believe you are correct on the location of the harness just double check the wire color. There may be links to that document Im talking about somewhere on this forum.
Garner Ames

1975 Pontiac Grand Am L77 - 14.82 @ 92.89
1991 Chevrolet C1500 L31 Vortec/5 Speed
2002 Chevrolet Suburban 1500 LM7
2014 Chevrolet Caprice 9C1 L77 - 13.60 @ 105.87
2019 Chevrolet Express 3500 L96
smwalker
Administration Staff

Post by smwalker »

From Here:

http://www.newcaprice.com/files/2011-Ch ... Manual.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This Paragraph is relevant:
HEADLAmpS
This option provides a flashing module, headlamp alternate high beam flashing, rear
alternate flashing of the stop and backup lamps and a control wire for connection a
customer furnished ON/OFF switch. A second control wire permits optional separate
control of headlamp flashing and rear lamps flashing via customer switching.
The headlamp flashing module is located at the right side of the underhood electrical
center. The headlamp flashing module is activated by application of 12-volts to a dark
green/red wire coiled in the right front footwell.
When activated, the left and right
high beams and the high beam instrument cluster telltale will flash alternately at 2.4
flashes per second.
During daylight conditions, the Daytime Running Lights (DRL) are automatically
deactivated whenever the headlamp flasher module is activated; during nighttime
conditions, the low beams are automatically on while the high beams flash (unless
option VVS is present). Activating the high beam switch will override the flashing
mode and the high beams will operate continuously.
A 15-amp fuse (F16) protects the front flasher circuit and is located in the engine
wiring harness junction block at the right side of the engine compartment.
TAIL LAmps and backuplamps
When the headlamp flashing module is activated the body control module will cause
the left and right stop lamps to flash alternately with the backup lamps at a rate of
2.4 flashes per second. The center high-mounted stoplamp does NOT flash and
operates only with application of the service brakes. During nighttime conditions, the
tail lamps are automatically ON (unless option VVS is present).
Activation of the headlamp and rear lamp flashing can be separated. Call Kerr
Industries at 905-725-6561 for instructions.
Steve Walker
Azusa, CA
'11 PPV 9C3 Huron White
elc32955
System Manager

Post by elc32955 »

I posted this in the for sale section already but I'll cross-post here in the thread as well in case anyone is looking to buy the module soon. EBAY seller has the FS flasher modules for $23.00 each shipped. Check the linky...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FEDERAL-SIGNAL- ... e6&vxp=mtr

Eric
System Manager and your tour guide for the day. 2015 Caprice w/LFX, former NC DPS staff car. Partial hybrid G8/SS/Camaro SS interior mods, SS MyLink radio upgrade, 2016 Camaro V6 rims, GMPP Malibu chrome exhaust tips, otherwise bone stock for now.
xcidmigs

Post by xcidmigs »

I can finally confirm that this is indeed possible, took 5 min to plug in the under hood flasher. And after connecting the dark green with red stripe wire in one of the white plastic harnesses under passenger dash to the brown colored wire in the other one I have flashing lights front and rear. I then extended that connection to a cheapo on/off switch that will be mounted in the center console cubby area if i can remember how to remove that without taking entire dash out again....
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I did mine a while back. My LEDs are connected to my high beams, so they flash, too. Hard to tell, but the left LED is wired to the right high beam, and vice versa. The quickness of the LEDs makes it hard to tell.

http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y211 ... ndgmiy.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

bsparks72 wrote:I did mine a while back. My LEDs are connected to my high beams, so they flash, too. Hard to tell, but the left LED is wired to the right high beam, and vice versa. The quickness of the LEDs makes it hard to tell.

http://vid6.photobucket.com/albums/y211 ... ndgmiy.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
What kind of switch did you use? Anything nice, or just something they had on the rack at the parts house? Just wondering. I still need to test, but I think everything's there. Thanks.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?
bsparks72

Post by bsparks72 »

I just used a parts store switch with LED lighting when turned on.
-Brandon
2012 9C1 L77 - 228/234, .604/.609 112 cam, JBA shorty headers, Solo high-flow cats, X-pipe, Cherry Bomb single-chamber mufflers (Frankenstein exhaust), Roto-Fab CAI, CTS-V torque converter, 3.45 Camaro diff, G8 red/black seats/steering wheel
CrashTestDummy

Post by CrashTestDummy »

Thank you.
Gene Beaird,
Pearland, Texas
2012 Caprice 9C1
1992 B4C 1LE Camaro
2018 Tahoe PPV (her car)
1995 DGGM Impala SS
1985 Firebird - 310 LS1 C Prepared autocross car.
1980 Bluebird Wanderlodge
And some others
Do YOU have my SPID?